Engine sputters and dies after cleaning throttle body / IAC valve

Titus1531

Hey guys,
Yesterday I pulled my throttle body and cleaned it. While I had it off I also pulled the IAC off and sprayed it and cleaned it. I put everything back on, but now if I rev my engine, it dies when I let off the gas. What have I done and how do I fix it. Thank you in advance.

Check and reseat the connections to both the TPS and IAC.

Problems like this are why I always advise cleaning the TB and IAC while mounted and while the engine is running.

When you state you cleaned the IAC; did you clean the seat inside the TB that the IAC disc seats on ?
There may be debris inside that is keeping the disc from operating properly.

Did you replace the gasket between the TB and the intake manifold? I bought a new one before doing the job and replaced it at the same time.

Did you push or pull the pintle (plunger) on the IAC while you had it out?

Jerry,
The reason I did this was a rough idle. I have heard that a nasty IAC valve can cause that. I know that my vacuum hoses are dry rotted, and plan to swap those next. Any other thing you could point me towards?

Yes, I did. I've never seen one before, so I kind of explored it. When I realized that that part moved I looked inside. Could it be lined up wrong now?

Yes, I did. I've never seen one before, so I kind of explored it. When I realized that that part moved I looked inside. Could it be lined up wrong now?

Doubtful that it can be lined up wrong...
As RMETeejay responded above; you should replace the TB base gasket and make sure you don't over tighten the bolts.

Not lined up wrong, maybe broken now though. You're not supposed to push or pull on it while you have it out. Replace it, just for grins.