Engine stops running at idle

ColoradoTJ

Hi all, first post here. I am experiencing something very new. I have a 2003 4.0 TJ that has 94567 miles on it with an automatic. I've bought this jeep back in 2007 and it only had 32,000 miles on it. I did some back country driving this last Saturday, nothing too extreme, just exploring some forest access roads here in Colorado. After I got back to the highway I hit a massive bump/separation going over a bridge, when the instrument panel went nuts. The engine stayed running, transmission stayed in gear, but everything on the dash quit working. Idiot lights came on and gauges zeroed out. After about ten seconds the instrument panel returned to normal. HOWEVER, since then while the jeep drives fine, but when I am at a stop...the engine dies. Everything shuts down. It starts right back up, and continues to run...but it has never done this before.

i don't know if the two things are related...but seems so to me as I use this jeep as my daily driver too. Any ideas or thoughts are much appreciated.

Everything shuts down - meaning dash lights out, and everything? Or just motor dies?

Check the positive battery cable. I was out a couple weeks ago and hit a bump, the Jeep died for like two seconds and I couldn’t figure out why. Turns out the battery and the battery terminal came loose and angled itself towards the body and was arcing on the chassis. You could see where it had done it.

• Haha
Reactions: Crust
Yeah - my first response was all written out long about checking each of the major battery connections, alternator, starter, and major grounds everywhere - but I canceled that and figured I'd ask questions before jumping in. I think Jamison C nailed it. If everything is going out - you've got a loose connection. Remove them, clean them, and put them back on tight.

Make sure the battery is tied down solid, and didn't shift around all wonky like Jamison C says too. I had that happen on my old YJ.

If you hit something REALLY hard, might as well pull and re-insert all the fuses and relays under hood ?

Well I checked fuses, battery was loose and looked like it had touched the body. Fuses checked out ok, readjusted battery, hold down, and cables. Hasn't done it since. So it seems to have solved the problem. Thanks everybody!!

Reactions: 707kevin