Engine won't run after top end checkup!

Utiny_

Pls help, I was getting a really bad ticking so u took off the valve cover and checked up on the rocker arms to find a few loose. I replaced the bolts and put it all back exept the valve cover. I go to test start it and starts after cranking for a while. It backfires. From the intake and will run but super badly and sounds like tracter. And only with gas. PLS HELP!!!!

I probably would have manually turned over the motor before starting just to watch everything work through a couple rotations.

Time for leak down and compression checks. If you're lucky you have a valve stuck open or a vent push rod or both.

-Mac

Did you follow the adjustment procedure for the rockers? You know you have to set them all at certain points, such as TDC of the cyl...

I probably would have manually turned over the motor before starting just to watch everything work through a couple rotations.

Time for leak down and compression checks. If you're lucky you have a valve stuck open or a vent push rod or both.

-Mac

What would have gone wrong?

Thank you all, I did get it fixed. The pushrods must have fallen out of place and where keeping the valves open. I removed the rockets and made sure the pushrods were in the right spot and it runs great now! I am going to need a new head tho. I snapped an intake manifold bolt off inside of it and the bolts extractor is no working.

Reactions: macleanflood
I snapped an intake manifold bolt off inside of it and the bolts extractor is no working.

Can always drill it out and retap. Or try and weld a washer and nut on depending on how deep it broke off. Or ignore it for a while because it's running. =)

Did you check and make sure the pushrods were reasonably straight?

-Mac

Can always drill it out and retap. Or try and weld a washer and nut on depending on how deep it broke off. Or ignore it for a while because it's running. =)

Did you check and make sure the pushrods were reasonably straight?

-Mac

Reasonably straight? What kind of machinist are you, Mac?

🙂