Ethel - Budget Restoration

Am I right in the idea that there are other versions of Black Dog by other people? Or am I thinking of the song Black Betty?
"Black Dog" was written by some of the members of Led Zep, so their version is definitely the original. There likely are cover versions out there, but I don't know of any myself. I do know that "Black Betty" has had a number of versions by different artists through the years, but again, Ram Jam is the one that always gets airplay on the radio.

Suggestion - if/when you take off the rear bumper, that's a great time to hit the rear crossmember with a coat or two of paint. I forgot, and later had to tape everything off in order to get mine painted, as it was too much trouble to remove the Dirtworx bumper just for that...

Good idea. Thank you. I also want to paint the frame on the sides. After taking off the fat side steps. Alot of ugly dirty frame is visible. I tried pressure washing it at the car wash. But didn't make much difference.

I'm torn between just painting the rear bumper - or - putting my tubular bumper with tire carrier on. It won't match the front stock bumper. And my plan was to wait until I at least had the front bumper to put on and match it. And then maybe some sidestep/rails along the side. After the tube bumpers.

I also need to either finish supporting my spare tire on the standard tailgate mount. OR switch to the tube bumper with tire carrier. Seems like a waste of time to spend beefing up the bracing for my spare tire. If it's gonna get put on a tire carrier anyway. Decisions. Decisions. Do I rock a non matching rear bumper so I don't have to beef up my spare tire mounting? Or do I just paint my bumpers and wait until I have the tube front bumper to put on with the rear tube bumper?

(Did you notice I didn't mention the name brand of my tube bumper? Cause it's a Smittybilt. lmao. But I only paid a hundred bucks for it. And it's a $450 bumper. So if it's a big fail. No biggie. I can get a hundred dollars out of it.

I hope it works. I never quite got a full explanation from the guy I bought it from. As to why he was getting rid of it. But I suspect it was a loose and squeaking/rattling tire mount bracket. I've read a few solutions. One of them involves aluminum backed sound deadener material inside the catch. And I have a ton of that stuff laying around. Other solutions abound. But we'll see if there's any malfunction at the junction with the bumper/tire carrier once I get it on.

I'm really only putting them on for looks. And to give me some cheap protection in a slow collision. The front isn't even classed as a bumper. It's a "brush guard". (The rear is class III #9000 two rating.) So hopefully it will crumple before my sheet metal does. And not cause me a totaled vehicle.

It's one of the things that drew me to Jeeps in the first place. It's the only vehicle you can surround with a steel bumper. and have it look halfway normal. My wife has had two vehicles totalled in very slow collisions with very little damage over the past few years. I'm hoping if I get into a small accident all I'll have to do is replace a cheap bumper. But I also like how they look to be honest.)

The rear bumper:

76621--2__62371.1382152740.jpg

9_4.jpg

The front bumper:

sb-76721-2_2608.jpg

I took the front bumper and fog lights completely apart and painted them. What a huge difference. Prepped with dawn, acetone, adhesion promoter and SEM trim black. Then I got the flu. And had to put them back together this weekend.

Then decided after completely refurbishing the fog lights. That I wanted to put the yellow Hella 500's on. Glad I did. Had to hardwire the lights. As both connectors were female. And I didn't have any male connectors. So I just joined the wires with couplers and covered them in shrink tubing.

I have end caps for the front bumper - someplace. Story of my life.

Next up is the rear bumper and removing the tow bar in the back. That will have to wait until tomorrow or next week. As the tendonitis in my elbow is at max about now. Gotta let it rest. Or go get a cortisone shot.

Before:

20190706_120643.jpg

AFTER:

20190727_150852.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
I like the yellow fogs. I've always been a fan of yellow fog lights on any vehicle I owned. I did the same thing with my M3 and my M5, put yellow fogs on them.

It looks particularly good on black.

I like the yellow fogs. I've always been a fan of yellow fog lights on any vehicle I owned. I did the same thing with my M3 and my M5, put yellow fogs on them.

It looks particularly good on black.

Thanks bud. Ya. I restored the original ones. But then got a nice birthday check. And got the yellow Hella's. :) I only wish I could find those metal screen protectors.

Thanks bud. Ya. I restored the original ones. But then got a nice birthday check. And got the yellow Hella's. :) I only wish I could find those metal screen protectors.

Just put some Lamin-X film over them. That will protect them from big rocks and pitted lenses. I put that stuff on all my headlights and fog lights.

POR 15 works well on bumpers (and almost anything). Self levels, goes on with a brush, seriously, gets very, very hard. Top coat with POR 15 chassis black top coat for UV stability, Very good product.

Got a brand new rear seat that someone had apparently put in a closet 20 yrs ago and left it. Only paid about $100 for it. And it's in perfect condition. Roughly matches the front seats from the newer Jeep I took them out of. IS the original seat to my black TJ. I sold the ugly cream colored Bestop aftermarket rear seat I originally had in there for $150.

Did a tune up on Saturday. And replaced the upstream O2 sensor. I ran errands on Sunday. Which would have normally taken me an 1/8th of a tank. Used up one needles worth. Couldn't be happier.

Also tested the addition of pipe insulation to the soft top frame. And completely removed the soft top and tightened up the front by folding the plastic tab you drill into over once more. Highway speeds are much much quieter now. And no more flapping from the lack of padding on the frame.

If you look back at the original pics. I've really improved the look of the Jeep overall. I'm not embarrassed to drive her in public anymore. lol. Next up is to paint the door handles and rear view mirrors. Then onto the interior and sound deadening and new carpet. Saving up for new PAtagonia M/T tires too.

Here's a before:

20181216_155005.jpg

From pig to princess. lol.

20190910_175245.jpg

20190910_175238.jpg

20190910_175257.jpg

Reactions: Vasq
Inspiring work.

Do those wheels/tires fit without rub?

2" spacers. But I've heard 1.25-1.5 spacers will work as well. You can also just adjust your wheel stops with washers. But it reduces your turning radius. Which I didn't want to lose. So I used the 2" spacers. Overkill size wise I think. But at the time I could not confirm that 1.25 or 1.5 spacers would work.

Reactions: sa1126
I responded to the question. "What terrible things did your PO do to your Jeep?" This was what I had to say:

"I was just astonished at how much weather neglect went into my Jeep by PO's. The long term PO took pretty good care mechanically. Lots of receipts. But they had to have left it out in the Socal sun for many a season. I had to paint or replace just about everything that can be sun damaged. Soft top, flares, all external plastics and some internal. Even the roll bar covers need replacing. I replaced the seats front and back. But if not for his neglect I would not have been able to afford it. I picked it up for 6k. I don't know how much it's worth now. But nearing 9 or 10k at the most.

It did have one wreck on it's Carfax early on it's in life. Like within the first year or two. It originally came with hard top and full doors. But I think they cheaped out on the repair. They repaired the body damage. But replaced the hard top with soft. And full doors with yellow half doors painted black. So another example of damage that gave me a better deal. But the bright side is it's wired and hosed for a hard top with rear window washer. And I sold the half doors and old soft top.

The other thing was extra parts over the life of the Jeep. It had a tow hitch installed. And goofy big tube rock guards. Grizzly rims. Weather worn Bestop soft top and bikini top. It all looked lame imho and/or weather worn. But to my advantage I sold it all and spent the money on the Jeep.

Lastly, my transmission wouldn't shift right. I'm not sure if the PO had the same problem I did and could not find an honest trans guys. I went to 4 and they all said I needed a new trans. I got a recommendation to one good trans guy in socal. And he adjusted the TV cable and it's run fine ever since. Didn't cost a dime. Probably another reason I got a good deal. As PO undoubtedly thought the trans needed replacing.

This all reminds me of the vehicle pre inspection at the dealership. They didn't uncover every last detail. But they found over 90% of them. Put a price tag on fixing it all (an estimate). And I further used that to negotiate the cost of the Jeep down. By time I was done I had 1 or 2k off on the Jeep to spend on repairs. and what repairs it needed in addition to mechanical ones I've done myself. HAd I tried to do the same thing with say a bad engine. It would have been out of my realm. But luckily I can change parts and paint things. So I saved alot.

I think my Jeep is an example of how to get in on the ground floor. And slowly get your Jeep up to snuff. I could not have afforded it otherwise. And I've learned so much about Jeeps. It's been a godsend. I didn't know a tenth about my Yukon what I do about Jeeps now. I will cherish that knowledge for the rest of my life. As I don't see myself not owning a Jeep.

PS - I still don't know why the PO didn't turn the rear view mirror upside down. Maybe he was smaller in stature than I am. ;) "

I spent part of yesterday trying to put my new Polk speakers in. I got the rears in (5.25"), but the fronts (6.5") were to big for what I wanted to tear out to make them fit. I got the speaker bracket cut. But I wasn't going to cut up my dash supports. SO I stopped with just the two rear speakers in. And even with just those it sounds like a BRAND NEW STEREO! Sounds so much better. So good. It's literally like I just dumped the stock radio or something. And I'm running a Kenwood single din.

Returning the 6.5's and replacing them with 5.25's. Even the replacement bracket for the fronts only comes in 5.25". So whoever gave me that advice that 6.5's would fit in the front. Obviously tore the shit out of their dash mounts and made their own mounting brackets. But oh well. Live and learn. Either way it's going to sound fantastic with a set of four 5.25" Polks.

I thought I was gonna have to add an amp and maybe a subwoofer. But if just these two speakers are any indication. I won't need it. It sounds great. At least for me. I'm not an audiophile but I like to be able to hear my music. And that's been fixed with just these two speakers. But the sound is lush. Compared to my old stock speakers and the Kenwood. If your gonna get a new stereo you definitely need new speakers. The originals are the old paper kind. And very weak. I can't tell you how much this has changed my sound experience in the Jeep. It's great.

POLK has a nice set up too. It's includes the correct pigtails to attach to any wiring and their speakers. I didn't find it until after I installed the first speakers with my own electrical connections. It made the job alot easier. Really impressed with Polk. I see why everyone runs them.

I'll post pics of the installation later in the week. As I'm waiting for the other set of 5.25's to arrive.

Good job, man. I like what your doing and following along. My '98 Sahara is my budget baby too. I've got teenagers, so my toys come last, for now. But, I did just order the Hella H4 headlight conversion and was looking at replacing my stock driving lights with the 500's. What is your impression on them? Seems like a decent light for the money.

Thanks!!