EV thread

$60,000 BASE price…..hard pass

Will depreciate pretty badly and be discontinued in a few short years after ppl realize its hemorraghing residual value

Reactions: BlueC
$60,000 BASE price…..hard pass

Will depreciate pretty badly and be discontinued in a few short years after ppl realize its hemorraghing residual value

Too expensive, waaaaay too much "technology", too much "luxury", too much power, double cab, little bed, and no diesel. I'd be hesitant about the IRS as well for towing much except I'm sure they've tweaked it to be OK - at enormous cost no doubt.

• Wow
Reactions: Apparition
Too expensive, waaaaay too much "technology", too much "luxury", too much power, double cab, little bed, and no diesel. I'd be hesitant about the IRS as well for towing much except I'm sure they've tweaked it to be OK - at enormous cost no doubt.

shame-gameofthrones.gif

• Haha
Reactions: srimes
Elon Musk Claims The New Tesla Roadster Hits 0-60 MPH In Less Than One Second

The reveal is happening this year, with deliveries to start in 2025.

Tesla's top brass went on to mention the design has been finalized and we'll get to see the production model near the end of the year. The goal is to kick off customer deliveries at some point in 2025, but knowing the company's modus operandi, one can never be too sure.

Considering roughly six and a half years have passed since the Roadster concept debuted, it's time to revisit the technical specifications promised by Tesla. It was originally claimed to reach 60 mph in 1.9 seconds and do 0-100 mph in 4.2 seconds, with a quarter mile time of 8.8 seconds. The all-wheel-drive machine with four seats promises to exceed 250 mph and cover 620 miles on a single charge.

The next Tesla Roadster is supposed to have a removable glass roof that goes into the trunk when not in use. An old tweet—er, post by Musk in June 2018 talked about a SpaceX option with "10 small rocket thrusters arranged seamlessly around car. These rocket engines dramatically improve acceleration, top speed, braking & cornering. Maybe they will even allow a Tesla to fly." In May 2021, Musk claimed the car would do 0 to 60 mph in an unbelievable 1.1 seconds.

Because that wasn't crazy enough, Musk now says it'll do it in less than 1 second. We're rather skeptical about this claim. The bonkers McMurtry Speirling can do it in 1.4 seconds with Avon slick tires and it's not even road-legal whereas the Roadster will have a license plate. The Spéirling also weighs nothing, at 2,200 pounds, surely a lot less than whatever the much larger Roadster will weigh.

As usual with Musk's promises, take these posts with the proverbial pinch of salt. We'll believe it when we see it. Even the original technical specifications announced in November 2017 would be more than enough.

Ahead of the claimed reveal in late 2024, Tesla will happily accept reservations for $50,000 a pop. Provided it hasn't changed, Roadster pricing varies from $200,000 to $250,000. That's not cheap by any stretch of the imagination but it is somewhat of a bargain compared to a Rimac Nevera that costs over $2 million and doesn't have rear seats, nor does it morph into a convertible. The McMurtry Spéirling we mentioned earlier is about $1 million.

tesla-roadster.jpg

Link

Mercedes-Benz Shelves EV-Only Plan In Favor Of More Gas-Powered Cars

Last week, Mercedes-Benz revealed that it will now delay its goal of becoming an electric vehicle-only brand by 2030. The firm added that it will continue to produce internal combustion-engined cars and hybrids well into the next decade.

Spurred on by weaker than expected demand for EVs, this about-face was the most recent indication that the global car industry is growing increasingly pessimistic about an all-electric future. Last month, Renault shelved plans to list its EV business Ampere because of sluggish stock market conditions. GM also cut EV production targets due to slowing demand.

Mercedes-Benz’s CEO Ola Kallenius says that his company will adopt a flexible strategy as it reacts to “peaks and troughs” in the transition towards EVs.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterl...-cold-feet-with-ev-only-plan/?sh=204a8f64cfec

Reactions: Zorba
Elon Musk Claims The New Tesla Roadster Hits 0-60 MPH In Less Than One Second

The reveal is happening this year, with deliveries to start in 2025.

Link

Think they are still lobbying to change legislation around cameras replacing wing mirrors, I doubt that would ever pass in the UK or Europe, so it would have to come with removable ones like the cyber truck. which is the least of the cybertrucks legal issues over here. they will probably never be road legal in Europe mainly due to front end.

• Sad
Reactions: Apparition
These guys are going in the right direction. @Zorba

Its about bloody time. Why people continue to insist on throwing expensive hybrid tech at an inefficient gasoline engine is beyond me. Diesel-electric tech has been around since world war 2, the only new thing here is the battery to absorb the peaks and valleys of power demand.

Of course I swore when he mentioned LCD screens and smartphones, and rolled my eyes at swapping in leather seats - but the old '48 (?) Dodge was a nice touch.

Reactions: Woodrow
Its about bloody time. Why people continue to insist on throwing expensive hybrid tech at an inefficient gasoline engine is beyond me. Diesel-electric tech has been around since world war 2, the only new thing here is the battery to absorb the peaks and valleys of power demand.
I think Atkins cycle gas engines are being used in hybrids because they are lighter, smaller, and nearly as fuel efficient as a diesel. And hybrids don't need the low end torque of an Otto cycle gas, or especially, diesel engine.

I think Atkins cycle gas engines are being used in hybrids because they are lighter, smaller, and nearly as fuel efficient as a diesel. And hybrids don't need the low end torque of an Otto cycle gas, or especially, diesel engine.

What you get with a gas-electric hybrid is the approximation of a diesel - it makes no sense. A Prius class hybrid with a diesel would push 100 MPG - experimental versions have shown this. But no, we get a gas electric hybrid that is 57-58 MPG, vs. the 52 we saw with the '96 Passat TDI that we had. All that expensive tech to make a gas engine the approximate equal of what a diesel already is.