EV thread

Looks like the model 3 has a manual release. I’d assume all teslas do.

View attachment 457288

The problem with that is owners are generally unaware of that hidden feature. I remember hearing about someone dying in a Tesla because they couldn't get out, but they never attempted to use the manual handle. There was a PSA talking about that handle running for a while after that.

On that note, a buddy and I got locked in a shaved hot rod years ago because of a blown fuse. I haven't been a fan of shaved, electric doors since crawling through that trunk in a parking lot. :sneaky:

All modern era *Past 10 years* ICE vehicles I've seen with electronic locks have a manual release mechanism

i.e.
C7 Corvettes also have these manual door latches because the electronic locks can fail.
Frankly if Tesla never put these in from Day 1, it's been a serious liability issue.

https://vette-vues.com/how-escape-c6-c7-power-fails/

That's good, I guess. The real issue is the complete stupidity of the idea in the first place. Just when I think these fools have run out of stupid ideas answering questions nobody asked, another example of utter idiocy crops up.

Last edited:
Neighbor bought an all electric 2024 Mini on Sunday. He said it stickered for $36k (he leased it) and has a range of 100-150 miles per charge. Maybe I'm missing something, but that sure is a steep price for something that can't go very far.

There’s a TFL video about their Hummer EV getting stuck and they didn’t know where the (hard to find) manual hood release was to access the battery so they couldn’t do anything with it. They couldn’t even put it in neutral to roll it up onto the flatbed.

Was talking to somebody about the Prius today and I remembered the Jeremy Clarkson clips on it. I think it's interesting comparison between the Tesla and early hybrid strategy.

IMO Tesla wanted higher aspects of performance, to show it could replace ICE cars, where as the hybrid like the Prius was geared more towards the environmentally friendly crowd. I still disagree that Tesla was focused on being green, I think that was the stigma that they received and it both helps and hurts them.

As we've discussed here a cost effective Tesla built to the performance of a Prius could potentially be the most useful form of EV, as an everyday commuter compliment to the ICE vehicles we already have. Obviously someone has studied this and disagrees or it'd exist.

giphy.gif

Here's the clips of what the reviews on the Prius were 20 years ago.

• Haha
Reactions: BlueC
Clickbait title
They didnt stop her from charging her car

They only shut off the the “Supercharging” feature for safety reasons of a alleged salvage title due to a Carfax error

Trying to avoid a car fire seems like a reasonable thing to do. Even if it was caused by error.

Then ignored her proof it wasn't totalled, ignored her completely, then fixed the issue promptly after being contacted by the press.

It looks like the car was parked in an apartment or condo lot. So no outlets to plug in. Effectively she couldn't charge her car if she couldn't use a Tesla charging station.

The only option for a wrecked Tesla is an engine swap.

Reactions: BlueC
It looks like the car was parked in an apartment or condo lot. So no outlets to plug in. Effectively she couldn't charge her car if she couldn't use a Tesla charging station.
She made a personal decision to live there & buy a Tesla without being able to charge @ home

She made a personal decision to NOT use regular charging stations (Tesla Supercharging is for Tesla only, but not the only chargers around )

Its a wake up call
Tesla errored here also, but it appears as safety reasons

Title is pure clickbait

She made a personal decision to live there & buy a Tesla without being able to charge @ home

She made a personal decision to NOT use regular charging stations (Tesla Supercharging is for Tesla only, but not the only chargers around )

Its a wake up call
Tesla errored here also, but it appears as safety reasons

Title is pure clickbait

So that means Tesla owns the rights to decisions on her car

Superchargers are owned & operated by Tesla

Yes, they can legally make that decision. A gas station owner can also ban you from their service stations, or kick you out if your vehicles fuel tank is deemed unsafe visually

Last edited:

Yes, and many manufactures have been pushing for that recently. A big guy at Ford recently said, maybe 6 months ago, that he doesn't think Ford will sell vehicles in the near future, but will rent on demand. Imagine the "right-to" issues with that. We might not even have a "right-to" rent a vehicle.

• Angry
Reactions: Zorba
Yes, and many manufactures have been pushing for that recently. A big guy at Ford recently said, maybe 6 months ago, that he doesn't think Ford will sell vehicles in the near future, but will rent on demand. Imagine the "right-to" issues with that. We might not even have a "right-to" rent a vehicle.
This bullshit is running the gamut of the industry, including heavy equipment. Just ask any John Deere owner...

Got a link to this??
I heard different, moving away from an “inventory sitting” model of business to an “order on demand” type of business

The issue arose during the pandemic when Ford had Billions in just F series sitting in a retired raceway waiting on parts to even sell the vehicles

https://www.thedrive.com/news/unfin...-piling-up-in-massive-lots-visible-from-space