EV thread

My neighbor has a first generation Leaf. He bought it for his daughters to drive around town. Not that long ago, he told me the Leaf had a range of less than 20 miles on a full charge.

I've been thinking about getting one to do an ev conversion on something for the hell of it. But batteries has stopped me from going past the "I'm bored I'll google this idea" phase

I've been thinking about getting one to do an ev conversion on something for the hell of it. But batteries has stopped me from going past the "I'm bored I'll google this idea" phase

The chevy volt battery, tesla drive axle and aftermarket controller combo is the LS swap package of the ev conversion world.

or so I've heard...

• Wow
Reactions: Shank and Rickyd
2025_Toyota-Camry_XSE_001-copy.jpg

2025_Toyota-Camry_XSE_002-copy.jpg

2025_Toyota-Camry_XSE_003-copy.jpg

The 3.5L V6 is finally gone, and all Camry models sold will be hybrids with a 2.5L I4.

All trims will be available with AWD. The FWD model makes 225 hp and the AWD model makes 232. No torque numbers have been announced.

The midsize sedan segment has been in major decline for over a decade now as much of the market has shifted to CUVs. While a lot of people just prefer the ride height and form factor of CUVs, I think most of the remaining sedan customers have hung around for advantages in cost, fuel economy, and driving behavior. This Camry doesn't look cheap, and I'm not sure how well it'll fare against the RAV4 Hybrid. I don't hate it, but I don't see the advantages.

Also, if you're the sort of person that would really want a pre-ban V6 Camry or Lexus ES, now is probably the time.

https://www.autoblog.com/article/2025-toyota-camry-preview/

Roughly $35k new and well under that value for a used one. Why would anyone pay that much to replace a battery?

I called to inquire about a Tesla S battery replacement, and Tesla rep told me about $18,000. Now I speculate that isnt the WHOLE install start to end but they claim it was

I was genuinely curious because I saw a YT video where someones died literally -250K and battery was DOA. At that point its a liability with an $18,000 repair bill to get it going again, with an unknown timeframe and unknown warranty

Ok for real though, why haven't we seen a hybrid that used a capacitor instead of a battery? Is it simply a safety issue due to the danger of a short caused by collision damage releasing the caps entire energy content in an instant? Or does a large capacitor have all the same downsides of a battery (cost, weight, environmental damage, fire risk, lifespan).

Seems like having a capacitor that charges through regenerative braking and discharges during acceleration would be a nice boost to ICE efficiency and eliminate the battery.

I called to inquire about a Tesla S battery replacement, and Tesla rep told me about $18,000. Now I speculate that isnt the WHOLE install start to end but they claim it was

I was genuinely curious because I saw a YT video where someones died literally -250K and battery was DOA. At that point its a liability with an $18,000 repair bill to get it going again, with an unknown timeframe and unknown warranty

In one of the Car Trek vids Hoovie was driving his Tesla that he had the battery replaced in, the car said he had 30 miles of range left when he was dead on the side of the road so even with a swap, it may not work right.

View attachment 474259

View attachment 474260

View attachment 474261

The 3.5L V6 is finally gone, and all Camry models sold will be hybrids with a 2.5L I4.

All trims will be available with AWD. The FWD model makes 225 hp and the AWD model makes 232. No torque numbers have been announced.

The midsize sedan segment has been in major decline for over a decade now as much of the market has shifted to CUVs. While a lot of people just prefer the ride height and form factor of CUVs, I think most of the remaining sedan customers have hung around for advantages in cost, fuel economy, and driving behavior. This Camry doesn't look cheap, and I'm not sure how well it'll fare against the RAV4 Hybrid. I don't hate it, but I don't see the advantages.

Also, if you're the sort of person that would really want a pre-ban V6 Camry or Lexus ES, now is probably the time.

https://www.autoblog.com/article/2025-toyota-camry-preview/

I’m one of those people. I love my trucks and need them for towing. I’ve owned both a new 2016 Passat and a 2018 Buick LaCrosse for work cars because of MPG and purchase price. I’m not going back to a sedan. Give me a small-mid sized SUV that has good seats for a 6’3” full figured guy that delivers 35+ mpg for under $30k and I’m in.

Ok for real though, why haven't we seen a hybrid that used a capacitor instead of a battery? Is it simply a safety issue due to the danger of a short caused by collision damage releasing the caps entire energy content in an instant? Or does a large capacitor have all the same downsides of a battery (cost, weight, environmental damage, fire risk, lifespan).

Seems like having a capacitor that charges through regenerative braking and discharges during acceleration would be a nice boost to ICE efficiency and eliminate the battery.

Smaller KWH high discharge rate battery’s are a better fit for hybrids. Capacitors would be better for acceleration but wouldn’t be able to supplement stop and go that well. I could see a system using both that would give exciting acceleration and increased efficiency. These new smaller gas engines with turbo charging are also getting pretty thermally efficient and producing lots of HP per cubic inch. I think we will see some advances with some key brands to rival electrics as they become more popular. Full electrification of it ever does happen is a long way off.

Reactions: Dr. Internet

Although capacitor technology has REALLY advanced over the last 2 or 3 decades, its still nowhere near the capacity for an EV.

My work vehicle was a RAV4 Hybrid. I was getting 40 MPG. It may not have handled like a sedan, but it drove/rode pretty nice. I like to boost the electric motor gave when trying to accelerate up an entrance ramp.

Reactions: srimes
I’m one of those people. I love my trucks and need them for towing. I’ve owned both a new 2016 Passat and a 2018 Buick LaCrosse for work cars because of MPG and purchase price. I’m not going back to a sedan. Give me a small-mid sized SUV that has good seats for a 6’3” full figured guy that delivers 35+ mpg for under $30k and I’m in.

I prefer the sedans myself. I like sitting low and feeling like I can dart around and hit a cloverleaf interchange at full speed and not feel tippy. A sedan will always provide better mpg due to smaller aero cross section. To me crossovers present a combination of the worst parts of the car and the SUV. (Mediocre to crappy mpg, too big to feel nimble but too small to be convenient).

But I'm also 6'0" and 175lbs, so sedans fit me just fine.

Reactions: BlueC
I prefer the sedans myself. I like sitting low and feeling like I can dart around and hit a cloverleaf interchange at full speed and not feel tippy. A sedan will always provide better mpg due to smaller aero cross section. To me crossovers present a combination of the worst parts of the car and the SUV. (Mediocre to crappy mpg, too big to feel nimble but too small to be convenient).

But I'm also 6'0" and 175lbs, so sedans fit me just fine.

Having a fairly quick Mustang and having my truck it would seem that the Mustang would be better for busy city driving but I much prefer the truck as I can see over everyone else and pass as necessary. With the car, I can’t see nearly as far down the road so it’s much more likely to be a slower commute. Luckily my commute is only a couple miles so any of my vehicles work fine.

Having a fairly quick Mustang and having my truck it would seem that the Mustang would be better for busy city driving but I much prefer the truck as I can see over everyone else and pass as necessary. With the car, I can’t see nearly as far down the road so it’s much more likely to be a slower commute. Luckily my commute is only a couple miles so any of my vehicles work fine.

That kinda goes back to my point though....that advantage is evident between extremes like a Mustang and an F150, but the height difference between a sedan and a crossover doesn't seem large enough to leverage it for discernible extra visibility. So again, the crossover is big enough to bring in the cons of the larger vehicle without the pros.

There are also times I prefer a trunk over a gate. Even if the cubic feet are the same, the trunk feels bigger because it's more area with less height, while using the same volume in the back of a crossover requires it to be stacked up and loaded much more deliberately and securely to not fall out when I open it or become a dangerous flying object in the passenger compartment in a accident. If something is so heavy I can't lift it over the back and down into or up out of the trunk, it should probably be in a pickup anyway.

I had a Toyota matrix once. The rear cargo area floor was hard plastic instead of carpet. I'm sure they thought they were doing me a favor by making it easy to clean but all they did was provide a low friction surface such that everything back there had to be tied down if I didn't want to listen to it sliding around and banging into stuff with every change to the vehicles direction or velocity. I wasn't sad to let that car go in the divorce.

That kinda goes back to my point though....that advantage is evident between extremes like a Mustang and an F150, but the height difference between a sedan and a crossover doesn't seem large enough to leverage it for discernible extra visibility. So again, the crossover is big enough to bring in the cons of the larger vehicle without the pros.

Mustang to F350 diesel, on factory 35's, to be accurate. ;)

But even the wife's Escape is a better commuter vehicle than the Fusion it replaced. Both of us prefer the elevated driving position and better visibility of the design.

Size wise other than height the Mustang is the bigger vehicle compared to the Escape. The Fusion was bigger than the Mustang.

Don't get me wrong I love driving my car but if it comes to commuting or errands the taller vehicles feel better. If the F350 wasn't so hard to park places it'd be my choice for those tasks.

Different strokes for different folks but it seems the country is also agreeing that a nice mid size SUV has more utility than the cars which is why they are disappearing.

Reactions: Rickyd and AMS417
Different strokes for different folks but it seems the country is also agreeing that a nice mid size SUV has more utility than the cars which is why they are disappearing.

I think a lot of that has to do with usage and the fact that most households only have one or two vehicles, so they want something very universal, something that can do a little bit of everything. Most of us here have multiple vehicles for different purposes. For work, I need a seat maybe two, storage for basic tools, efficiency and reliability. Civics fit that perfectly. For a long trip or hauling something it's my 4-door truck due to room and general comfort, but the average household has one vehicle trying to do both jobs, thus mid and large SUVs everywhere.

Mustang to F350 diesel, on factory 35's, to be accurate. ;)

But even the wife's Escape is a better commuter vehicle than the Fusion it replaced. Both of us prefer the elevated driving position and better visibility of the design.

Size wise other than height the Mustang is the bigger vehicle compared to the Escape. The Fusion was bigger than the Mustang.

Don't get me wrong I love driving my car but if it comes to commuting or errands the taller vehicles feel better. If the F350 wasn't so hard to park places it'd be my choice for those tasks.

Just drive your TJU , problem solved. ;)