Exhaust cut outs - talk me out of it

Longhorn84

TJ Enthusiast
Finishing up my LS swap, I’ll post a video of it firing today once the neighbors wake up. Next up is exhaust, I’m considering putting a y pipe cutout for those times I want to show off the noise a bit. I had these in high school and I realize they may be obnoxious, but I think I’d like a quieter exhaust usually but the option to open it up when I feel like it. Thoughts?

Worst idea ever. Nobody likes it but the driver.
What about my jealous friends? Won’t they think I’m so cool? I wish that was true. I just want to show off the LS but I’m an adult with kids and live in a decent neighborhood so I can’t have an aggressive exhaust.

i put a banks muffler on mine. the tones not bad. but a IL6 will never have the growl of a big V8.

Finishing up my LS swap, I’ll post a video of it firing today once the neighbors wake up. Next up is exhaust, I’m considering putting a y pipe cutout for those times I want to show off the noise a bit. I had these in high school and I realize they may be obnoxious, but I think I’d like a quieter exhaust usually but the option to open it up when I feel like it. Thoughts?
Doesn't matter. You will struggle just to get it acceptable and not run you out of the rig when you're driving it anyway so making it more obnoxious isn't a big deal.

It sounds like you want to run it open a few times when you first install it and then will get bored of it. Save yourself the hassle and go do a few hot laps now and then get your exhaust work done. If you ever get the craving again you can pull the exhaust off for the day.

Reactions: Squatch
Get a bumper sticker that says "it's a LS." Then they will know. I out grew needing to impress my friends decades ago.

Pro hint.... if you feel the need to impress your friends, they aren't your friends.😉

Get a bumper sticker that says "it's a LS." Then they will know. I out grew needing to impress my friends decades ago.

Pro hint.... if you feel the need to impress your friends, they aren't your friends.😉
Some folks lack the ability to not be that guy. I've got an acquaintance of close friends. He showed up in his 4 door JK done up in a manner that is anything but understated. We chat a few minutes near the front bumper of the rig. Get done and he is about ready to leave. Reaches in his pocket and fires up the remote start. Seriously? You're 3 feet from the ignition switch and you remote start it? Find someone else to show off to, I don't impress that easily. Reminds of the idiots with remotes for their in dash head unit that they store next to the knobs on it. You reached up there to get the remote, couldn't you just change the station while you were there?

Some folks lack the ability to not be that guy. I've got an acquaintance of close friends. He showed up in his 4 door JK done up in a manner that is anything but understated. We chat a few minutes near the front bumper of the rig. Get done and he is about ready to leave. Reaches in his pocket and fires up the remote start. Seriously? You're 3 feet from the ignition switch and you remote start it? Find someone else to show off to, I don't impress that easily. Reminds of the idiots with remotes for their in dash head unit that they store next to the knobs on it. You reached up there to get the remote, couldn't you just change the station while you were there?
I use to park my Jeep next to the hot tub and use the remote for the head unit while in the hot tub. It worked great till I dropped the remote. That was the only use I ever found for the remote. But now with Bluetooth there more useless than ever .

Don’t do a loud exhaust.
I sometimes find my self wheeling in places where I technically shouldn’t be. Having a quiet exhaust is a plus for those situations.

I had cutouts on a V-8 jeep once. Actually, I could just unbolt both glass packs at the exhaust flanges behind the front tires and leave the mufflers in camp while we raced through the dunes at Glamis and Pismo Beach. (The exhaust on each side was short - just the flange, glasspack and turn out in front of the rear wheel.)

It seemed like a good idea when we were in our early 20's.

It became more and more of a hassle to remove the mufflers as time went on so they were removed less and less often.

It didn't seem like such a great idea by my 30's.

It was definitely a bad idea by the time I had teenagers of my own.

YMMV

I debadged my new Ram, including the Hemi badges. Maybe some will think I have the V6 now...I can't have that

I better go put them back on. I can't have a random stranger not knowing I have the Hemi.

• Haha
Reactions: D M

I was thiking of doing similar, or using a valved mufffler however im not too familiar with the different sizes available and if it would fit nicely with the rest of the exhaust system

Plus its nice to have a quite car for the drive to the desert, and then make some noise where it doesnt bother anyone

My first Jeep was a 74 CJ5 with the 304 V-8 headers shorty glass packs with the exhaust tips exiting in front of the rear wheels. Loud to the extreme and I quickly grew tired of the noise