Exhaust fumes and antifreeze smell in cab

Jeff Lundberg

Supporting Member
Hey guys, I've read a bunch of write-ups regarding the heater core replacement and I am well aware of the PITA awaiting me. I've been driving around all summer with the top and doors off, and didn't really notice any fumes and smells until I just put the top back on. There's no antifreeze leaking in the cab, yet. I'm guessing that replacing the heater core will fix the antifreeze smell, but what about the exhaust fumes? If there's a leak in the exhaust system, where would the fumes be getting inside? I'd like to drive it this winter, but as of now, I have to drive with all the windows down because the fumes are giving me a headache.

Also, since I'm tearing out the heater core, should I just go ahead and replace the evaporator too?

Thanks for any help/advice on all or some of the issues.

what about the exhaust fumes? If there's a leak in the exhaust system, where would the fumes be getting inside?

Everywhere. I had a manifold bolt loosen up and gas us. It wasn't loose enough to make a noticeable sound, but a short 5-10 minute trip with the top on and windows up was enough to get gassed to the point of headache and dizziness. I let an exhaust shop look it over and that loose bolt was all they found. I now keep a battery powered smoke and CO detector in the Jeep. No problems since they tightened the bolt(s).

Reactions: Jeff Lundberg
Park the Jeep outside. Remove the air intake tube. Have someone pour a little Seafoam or Gumout Regane down the intake with the engine running. As they do so, you need to be under the Jeep looking for leaks. It'll smoke a lot so that may help you find your leaks. Also, you can start it up and before it gets too warm, run your hand around the various joints and muffler/cat and see if you can feel any leaks.

As far as the heater core is concerned....yes replace the evaporator at the same time. They are right next to each other, you have to disconnect the AC anyway, and it'll all be open. It's really not a bad job. Some people like to hype it up to be worse than it is. It's really a fairly easy job. Just take your time and keep track of the various nuts and bolts. I'd replace the receiver/dryer at the same time. It's cheap and your AC will likely work a little better if it's original.

Reactions: Jeff Lundberg
Everywhere. I had a manifold bolt loosen up and gas us. It wasn't loose enough to make a noticeable sound, but a short 5-10 minute trip with the top on and windows up was enough to get gassed to the point of headache and dizziness. I let an exhaust shop look it over and that loose bolt was all they found. I now keep a battery powered smoke and CO detector in the Jeep. No problems since they tightened the bolt(s).

Damn! Great info, thanks for your help. I'll start checking some bolts.

Park the Jeep outside. Remove the air intake tube. Have someone pour a little Seafoam or Gumout Regane down the intake with the engine running. As they do so, you need to be under the Jeep looking for leaks. It'll smoke a lot so that may help you find your leaks. Also, you can start it up and before it gets too warm, run your hand around the various joints and muffler/cat and see if you can feel any leaks.

As far as the heater core is concerned....yes replace the evaporator at the same time. They are right next to each other, you have to disconnect the AC anyway, and it'll all be open. It's really not a bad job. Some people like to hype it up to be worse than it is. It's really a fairly easy job. Just take your time and keep track of the various nuts and bolts. I'd replace the receiver/dryer at the same time. It's cheap and your AC will likely work a little better if it's original.

Thanks Link, I'll give it a go.