Exhaust Upgrade Help for 4.0

Thanks for looking out, but yes I do have an LJ. That cheaper Borla was a factory option so my assumption is that the quality and fitment will be spot on. What do you think the difference would be between the more expensive one and the Mopar Borla considering Borla only offers one? Product numbers for the LJ and TJ are in the picture.

View attachment 53763

The more expensive Borla’s will use the higher quality T304 stainless steel instead of factory quality T409 SS. Here is the touring LJ exhaust with T304 SS:
https://www.borla.com/products/tju__wrangler_2_door_catback_exhaust_touring_part__140103.html

I chose the Banks because it was cheaper (T409) and is 2.5” diameter (I wanted the larger diameter in case I ever turbocharge or supercharge). Here is the one for the LJ model:
https://shop.bankspower.com/i-798-5...004-2006-jeep-4-0l-wrangler-unlimited-lj.html

The oem Mopar Borla you posted with T409 is also a good deal on Ebay though! Most like diameter is is 2.25” like stock.

Reactions: skrelnik
The more expensive Borla’s will use the higher quality T304 stainless steel instead of factory quality T409 SS. Here is the touring LJ exhaust with T304 SS:
https://www.borla.com/products/tju__wrangler_2_door_catback_exhaust_touring_part__140103.html

I chose the Banks because it was cheaper (T409) and is 2.5” diameter (I wanted the larger diameter in case I ever turbocharge or supercharge). Here is the one for the LJ model:
https://shop.bankspower.com/i-798-5...004-2006-jeep-4-0l-wrangler-unlimited-lj.html

The oem Mopar Borla you posted with T409 is also a good deal on Ebay though! Most like diameter is is 2.25” like stock.

Makes complete sense about the quality of material. Great call!

Reactions: mots
I've also been pondering this and read that Borla made an OEM exhaust for the TJ. Went searching for it and found one for sale on Ebay. Anyone know about this exhaust, opinions or anything? You need a different tip if you have the towing package, which I do, so curious to know if anyone else has this one.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=322977359028

The bad: I bought that exact set-up years ago for $150 from a guy who bought a lot (i.e. cargo container) of Mopar parts. An internal weld in the muffler failed causing an annoying metal banging within a year.
The good: I called up Borla looking to pay for a replacement and the customer service guy said he'd send me out a replacement free of charge. It ended up being the higher dollar one in mots' post.

Reactions: mots
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
The bad: I bought that exact set-up years ago for $150 from a guy who bought a lot (i.e. cargo container) of Mopar parts. An internal weld in the muffler failed causing an annoying metal banging within a year.
The good: I called up Borla looking to pay for a replacement and the customer service guy said he'd send me out a replacement free of charge. It ended up being the higher dollar one in mots' post.

That's great customer service. What's your thoughts/review on fitment, quality and any oddities, like rattles or sounds? It mentions a different tip if you have a tow bar, which I do. Do you have a tow bar?

That's great customer service.

Yes, indeed. I was actually shocked that they'd give me the upgrade with basically no questions asked.

What's your thoughts/review on fitment, quality and any oddities, like rattles or sounds?

Fitment was factoryesque and quality, aside from the possibly flukish internal weld failure, seemed great. No rattling from mounts or connections and very minimal droning in cab (I have a hardtop so the amount of drone was an important factor). Due to the price I'd buy it again if in the same situation.

It mentions a different tip if you have a tow bar, which I do. Do you have a tow bar?

I don't have a tow bar but I didn't use the tip that came with the kit. It's too big and "flashy"(?) for the Jeep and my tastes. I bought an inexpensive standard turn-down tip.

Reactions: skrelnik
I am using a Flowmaster T304 stainless steel Super HP-2.

FM_Super_HP2_Cutaway2.jpg

Although in the past I have preferred the tone of Magnaflow and Dynamax mufflers to Flowmasters (I never liked the sound of the 40 or Super 44 series - too loud and raspy), the Super HP-2 has a mellow tone and doesn't drone at highway speed. More importantly, it fits where others don't. It is available with 2.25" and 2.50" diameter in/out sizes.

SuperHP-2_1.png

https://www.flowmastermufflers.com/hp-2/

Reactions: KCsTJ
I'm looking to go dual tailpipes from a Y coming out of the muffler in the stock position. With a 5" lift and only an inch or two travel in the suspension I can't imagine a local shop not being able to put a pair of 2" pipes through there with 3"flaired tips. Anyone tried it? 2" is small but two of them make 4"!

How do you manage to restrict the suspension to only "an inch or two"? I would be more concerned about that than getting a duel looking exhaust. Until you are up around the 500 hp range a 2 1/2" pipe will flow plenty. So the easiest way would be to just buy a chrome tip to match the passenger side, attach it to a foot or two of exhaust pipe and tack it in place.
If I am misunderstanding what you are saying then just disregard this. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Zorba
I agree, at around 300 HP at the flywheel 2 1/2" is fine. I just want it to be real. I don't know if it's a combination of parts used for the lift and keeping the original geometry and wheel base correct, but by pushing up and down on the bumpers you get very little movement. I can't complain about the ride, though. It is stable with good drivability up to 90 mph that I know of.

Front suspension.jpg

Forget all the pretty but EXPENSIVE cat-back systems sold in catalogs and online. They're WAY overpriced and what recourse do you have if you don't like the sound of what the UPS truck delivered?

Save some significant $$$ and go visit your local independent old-school muffler shop. That means avoid the chain muffler shops like Meineke who all have quotas to meet and will gouge you on the pricing. Go talk to the muffler shop that has been in your town for 25-50 years and tell them the sound you want and ask them what they'd go with. They can install the same fancy stainless steel tip in the catalog ad and they can avoid replacing all of the cat-back piping if it's in good enough condition to continue using.

My local muffler guys will install equal quality to the catalog cat-backs for half the cost. And if you don't like the sound the first muffler makes, they can change it to one more in line with what you want. That's what I did on my last muffler install.

I fully agree with this too, but the local shops, with any repute, do not exist in S. FL... I never put an exhaust on my last truck because of that... and I don't weld... (I'll fix that last part soonish...)

Followed the suggestion to try a local custom shop. There is only one close to my office.. Highly recommended, one man shop that does only exhaust work. Shared what I was looking for (I just want to know there is an exhaust.. Not just hear the sound of the fan, trans and drivetrain and I don't want it to sound like a Mustang) and he said Magnaflow is the only/best option. $750 total. At first I gulped. But realize we are in the NE where EVERYTHING is more expensive, our country is still reeling from Covid and the idiot at the helm and, even though an off-the-shelf system might seem less expensive, it still needs to be installed. I don't have time to do it, and since my TJ is my DD, I can't have laid up for too long. He did say if I didn't like it he would cut it out redo it.

Does anyone know a part number of an exhaust intermediate pipe (piece pictured below) that would fit stock piping on an 03 tj. I want to piece together some components but don't want to permanently weld it into the existing exhaust in case I want to remove at any time

61-LdsJ4oTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg