Explorer 8.8 diff offset

Status
Not open for further replies.
so long as single cardan angles are the same it doesn't matter the driveshaft angle to the side. Add a double cardan at the transfercase and you'll never get good angles in a JEEP with such a short rear driveshaft.

Nobody is hating on the 8.8. You can keep the emotional responses.

If you want to install it and don't mind the project we aren't gonna care what you do to your jeep.

Emotional? Nope just trying to be friendly and chat it up without someone getting their panties in a wad because I seemed all or nothing or something crazy.

These 8.8 threads can get out of hand FAST.

They are sort of like the many other threads here where OPINIONS get voiced.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
I find it interesting to hear that, I did some research about three years ago when I did my 8.8 and the consensus I got was no matter how much you throw at a Dana 35, the 8.8 will always be stronger. IE If you put alloy axle shafts, a truss etc. in the 35, then it's only fair to put them in the 8.8 for fair comparison. The 8.8 wins. Now compare it to a Dana 44 and the race gets neck and neck. The Dana 44 is a great axle but they are generally 4-8+ times the cost for a TJ or JK Dana 44.
I guess im confused and curious as to why the 8.8 doesn't still have the love. Does it fall under the "brand" thing? IE Ford vs Chevy etc.

The 8.8 is big, fat and doesn't really fit a TJ properly. But if that's how you want to build your TJ, then go for it.

As far as strength is concerned, the Super 35 has been around for a long time with a very strong track record running 35" tires in very difficult terrain. That gets you a sufficiently resilient axle that is physically smaller and lighter weight than a Dana 44. Plus it already fits your Jeep correctly.

Yep as usual you're right.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I know I am. An objective description of the fat heavy 8.8 shouldn't be difficult to digest. It barely made sense back in the YJ years. It makes even less sense on a TJ.

Ok back to reality with some real data

S35 w/arb 1400$
100$ install kit( only need carrier bearing shims,could be less)
Compressor and wiring varies

8.8 swap-
Buy 8.8-free to ??
1100$ arb
440$ artec swap kit
300$ gears and install kit(or more)
Rear driveshaft $100 to shorten(or more)
Wheel spacers 120$ for 2. rough country garbage,goes up from there
Ebrake cables 80$.
Rear brake hose?

So to total minus compressor and wiring we have

1500$ and an afternoon drinking beer to install s35

Or 2000$ as a starting point for an 8.8 swap. Not including gear setup,welding supplies,paint,paying welders shop rate.plus whatever a good 8.8 is going to cost you to have in your garage.separate shipping for all that stuff won't be cheap either.

on top of that you get offset pinion vibrations,wheel spacer bs,extra size,weight and extra strength that isn't needed.

In conclusion-8.8 swaps aren't cheaper,aren't easier and aren't solving a problem something else can't do.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT and jjvw

S35 w/arb 1400$

8.8 swap-
Buy 8.8-free to ??
1100$ arb
440$ artec swap kit
300$ gears and install(or more)
Wheel spacers 120$ for 2 rough country garbage,goes up from there
Ebrake cables 80$.
Rear brake hose?

Or 2000$ as a starting point for an 8.8 swap. Not including gear setup,welding supplies,paint,paying welders shop rate.or whatever a good 8.8 is going to cost you to have in your garage.

on top of that you get offset pinion vibrations,wheel spacer bs,extra size,weight and extra strength that isn't needed.

In conclusion-8.8 swaps aren't cheaper,aren't easier and aren't solving a problem something else can't do.

Hush your opinions 😘

• Face Palm
  • USA Proud
Reactions: Wildman and Rickyd

S35 w/arb 1400$

8.8 swap-
Buy 8.8-free to ??
1100$ arb
440$ artec swap kit
300$ gears and install(or more)
Wheel spacers 120$ for 2 rough country garbage,goes up from there
Ebrake cables 80$.
Rear brake hose?

Or 2000$ as a starting point for an 8.8 swap. Not including gear setup,welding supplies,paint,paying welders shop rate.or whatever a good 8.8 is going to cost you to have in your garage.separate shipping for all that stuff won't be cheap either.

Thanks for putting some meat on the bones that were already there.

Reactions: Rickyd
I have a BAD ASS stock Dana 35 up for sale, 308 gears in excellent condition. I have heard so many amazing things about these phenomenal axles. I am only selling it because I don't have room to store it. :ROFLMAO:
I am changing my build and going with a Dana 60 and a 14 bolt now! :ROFLMAO:
Freaking hilarious people.....

I have a BAD ASS stock Dana 35 up for sale, 308 gears in excellent condition. I have heard so many amazing things about these phenomenal axles. I am only selling it because I don't have room to store it. :ROFLMAO:
I am changing my build and going with a Dana 60 and a 14 bolt now! :ROFLMAO:
Freaking hilarious people.....

What's wrong with your fat heavy 8.8?

Status
Not open for further replies.