Extended Brake Lines?

derekmac

TJ Addict
I've seen a few threads (including the great write up that Chris did) that had guys installing extended brake lines, and their rigs had varying lift heights. Is there a certain amount of lift where extended lines are a must? I'm at 3" in the front, and 2" in the rear, and wheel with the front disconnected. I hadn't thought to check how tight the lines are when flexing, but I will next time I'm out.

Also, most just seem to extend the front, and leave the rear stock. I'm guessing the rears must have enough slack in them?

It's doubtful you need extended front brake lines with only 3" of suspension lift. But to know for sure, jack the front of your TJ up by the frame with the antiswaybar disconnected and use another jack to stuff one front tire up all the way into the fender and look at the other side which will be drooping. Then check the other side.

The single rear brake line runs down a control arm to the axle where it is split to run down the axle tubes to both sides. The way the rear brake line is routed you'll never need to mess with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Thanks Jerry, I'll give that a try. I honestly hadn't really looked at the way the rear was run, but now that I know, it makes sense that no one talked about it. :)

Reactions: Chris
If it's even close, new brake lines are cheap insurance. I chose to do the braided lines, even though I could have done Chis' mod with the YJ lines for a whole lot less. I just think they look better. The worse part is just purging the system.

Reactions: derekmac and Chris