Factory radio value - is this thing worth keeping?

t00th

TJ Enthusiast
I hoard shit too much. Still have the factory head unit out of my old 2000. Don't even have the Jeep anymore.

I figured somebody somewhere along the line might want it and I can make fifty bucks. But the space it's taking up and the work to sell it is starting to become more valuable.

Maybe it isn't even worth anything.

Do I trash it? Any market for these?

I hoard shit too much. Still have the factory head unit out of my old 2000. Don't even have the Jeep anymore.

I figured somebody somewhere along the line might want it and I can make fifty bucks. But the space it's taking up and the work to sell it is starting to become more valuable.

To get an idea of what they are selling for, type in the model number on eBay followed by clicking on "Sold" items. Sold items give you a better idea of what you can get versus merely an asking price.

If I were you... I would just post it on FB marketplace as free.... someone may need it but no one would pay anything for it.... I would rather have a 30 dlls aftermarket headunit with bluethoot than the factory one...

I had two stock radios from the 98-2000 era and was surprised how much some are worth. One I received from helping sell a friends dodge pickup to another friend and the buyer didn't want it. I subsequently sold the radio on eBay almost two years ago for $200. The second radio was from a neighbors garage sale for a dollar. After selling the first one, I decided what the heck and ended up selling it for $80.
There's definitely people out there that want to stay stock and just replace their broken radio.

Reactions: SSTJ
I had two stock radios from the 98-2000 era and was surprised how much some are worth. One I received from helping sell a friends dodge pickup to another friend and the buyer didn't want it. I subsequently sold the radio on eBay almost two years ago for $200. The second radio was from a neighbors garage sale for a dollar. After selling the first one, I decided what the heck and ended up selling it for $80.
There's definitely people out there that want to stay stock and just replace their broken radio.

well.... the first option would be to post it on ebay.... maybe some people will spend some dollars on it...

Reactions: flyinfish
There are old timers that like to keep things OEM

I would post a FREE listing on FB Marketplace and see if anyone bites. No bites after X amount of time, it goes in the trash

I have OEM rims and newer tires I took off and have ZERO use for , but I dont feel like dealing with the hassle of advertising outside of here

I think I sold the OEM unit from our 2003 for like $20 with the bezel.

I still have the factory head unit from my 2008 Dodge Charger sitting in a garage cabinet.
It has a 6-CD changer & a built-in XM tuner w/ my lifetime subscription licensed to it.
I can move the license to another receiver for $75, or I can just stream it from my phone to any BT receiver for free.
I'll let you guess how I use it, but I haven't even opened the app in a year or more.

Even w/ the XM license I probably couldn't give it away since it only works w/ the U-connect system and not standard BT.

Some of us like knobs a lot more than touchscreens. If my radio died, I would shop for a factory one, not an aftermarket one.

I wouldn't use a double din, IMO it looks unnatural and I do like knobs.... but there are a lot of aftermarket headunits with knobs and buttons... like my alpine... which I'm pretty happy with it... more because I have 8 speakers and two subs and I need the RCA outputs from the headunit to send the signal to the amps...

Reactions: Claybirdd
There is absolutely a market for OEM head units. I bought one to replace the head unit that came in my jeep...a kenwood IIRC. Don't recall what I paid for it, but it was less than $75.
The stock unit looks so much better and I have bluetooth through a bluetooth transmitter to an empty FM station.
Routed through a Soundstream Picasso Nano 5 channel amp hidden under the dash and upgraded speakers all around plus two subwoofers in the console.
Looks bone stock and sounds great.
I get wanting better sound, but some of the head units are just fugly and none of em fit like the OEM headunit.

Reactions: Head Lice
Hi, been lurking here for a while and meaning to make an account but your post finally gave me the impetus to do so. I have a '98 Sahara I am looking to restore to as factory as condition as possible and high up on my list of tasks is changing back to an original stereo. Does yours have the ability to play cassettes? If so, I'd certainly be willing to take it off your hands, even fork over some coin for it. I'll work on filling in my account details real quick so this seems less sketchy lol

I'm pleasantly shocked at all the responses here - appreciate you all! I've listed it on marketplace and may throw it up on ebay for a bit just to see what happens.

Thing is, I'm moving soon and need to liquidate. It may still end up in the trash. But can't hurt to try and make a few bucks in the meantime.

@YonderWalnut Would've loved to hand it over, but it's a CD model unfortunately. Good luck tracking down the one you're after!

I know where I am if you get collectors plates I believe you need a stock head unit, not that I think of Jeeps as a typical collector car.

I have a customer whose gig is taking stock units in old cars (usually 50-60's) and then gutting them and hooking up new tech in the old shell. I imagine he charges a fortune but anyways point is some people always want a stock unit for various reasons.

Reactions: t00th
Wait 50 years, it'll be priceless!

Yep. I put a correct model radio into my 1974 Mercedes (will be 50 years old this July). Has cassette and everything. Cost a lot more than a fancy new unit but it has something none of them have - its knobs match the dashboard knobs because they were designed to go together.

Andy

Reactions: Mhass

I shop around for these sometimes. Depending on the year and model, they can go for anywhere from $50 (usually) to a few hundred. Pre-03, with the square corners, usually go for more.

Got a pic? I'm curious.

There is absolutely a market for OEM head units. I bought one to replace the head unit that came in my jeep...a kenwood IIRC. Don't recall what I paid for it, but it was less than $75.
The stock unit looks so much better and I have bluetooth through a bluetooth transmitter to an empty FM station.
Routed through a Soundstream Picasso Nano 5 channel amp hidden under the dash and upgraded speakers all around plus two subwoofers in the console.
Looks bone stock and sounds great.
I get wanting better sound, but some of the head units are just fugly and none of em fit like the OEM headunit.

I have very little knowledge on sound systems. Looking to upgrade my speakers, and replace the subwoofer in the console... How is everything with the factory head unit. I am not looking for anything crazy. Going to go with the polk speakers everyone talks about, I found a kicker 6.75" sub BNIB. Looking for a small water proof amp, and will NOT be getting rid of the factory head unit like you. If it is not worth the hassle and coin I have no problem with crappy clarity stock speakers, but I would not mind some more umph when the metallica CD's go in!

I have very little knowledge on sound systems. Looking to upgrade my speakers, and replace the subwoofer in the console... How is everything with the factory head unit. I am not looking for anything crazy. Going to go with the polk speakers everyone talks about, I found a kicker 6.75" sub BNIB. Looking for a small water proof amp, and will NOT be getting rid of the factory head unit like you. If it is not worth the hassle and coin I have no problem with crappy clarity stock speakers, but I would not mind some more umph when the metallica CD's go in!

I am NOT an audiophile. Actually have pretty significant hearing loss. But i like to rock out with the tol down.
Followed the "upgrade your stereo" thread and ordered parts and got to work.
Replaced all the speakers and added the subwoofers to the console with some easy mods.
That amp fits under the steering column and I couldn't be happier with it. Pairs well with the stock head unit and I added a Bluetooth receiver to allow me to stream MY music instead of whatever crap the local station is playing.
Total investment less than $600 and It's got enough oomph that I can do 70 with the top down and hear everything fine, some songs require full volume and it's funny to see kids in shitbox Hondas with $3000 stereos wonder where the bass is coming from.

Last edited: