Factory speaker and subwoofer upgrades

Lola

Hey guys,

I’m currently running stock speakers in my 1999 Wrangler and, well, it sounds horrendous. Obviously the acoustics in a Jeep aren’t it’s best area, but I am definitely looking for some sort of upgrade.

I was looking if anyone had any speakers recommendations to replace the factory ones, or hear anyone’s thoughts on adding in a subwoofer.

Thanks!

Do a search of the forum. There are several threads with differing sound system builds and recommendations. I've done a fairly simple Double Din install of a new Head Unit with the stock speakers and have been very pleasantly surprised. Speakers are next for me. I went with a recommendation here to use BLAM speakers.

Crutchfield has many recommended speakers and systems as well. They have full directions and install parts for TJ's too.

Great info for speakers. The only issue is that my center console does not have a sub. What do y’all think is the beat way to get one in?

Great info for speakers. The only issue is that my center console does not have a sub. What do y’all think is the beat way to get one in?

By a used OEM sub woofer console and install it. Some people build a speaker box into their rear seat bottom. Or add a small sub box in the back. Lots of choices. Whatever compromise you are willing to make is the right answer. I had an OEM sub console already, so I added a 6.75" Kicker to it in place of the janky OE sub and amp. Works great for me, and takes up no space. How much bass you looking for? How much space you want to give up?

Reactions: Ephry73
By a used OEM sub woofer console and install it. Some people build a speaker box into their rear seat bottom. Or add a small sub box in the back. Lots of choices. Whatever compromise you are willing to make is the right answer. I had an OEM sub console already, so I added a 6.75" Kicker to it in place of the janky OE sub and amp. Works great for me, and takes up no space. How much bass you looking for? How much space you want to give up?

Ideally I do enjoy a decent amount of bass, but I do not want to give up my whole trunk for it!

Ideally I do enjoy a decent amount of bass, but I do not want to give up my whole trunk for it!
I mounted a Rockford Fosgate PS-8 to the underside of the rear seat (not on the floor, on the seat). I’ve been running it this way for3 years. I love it.

Reactions: Ephry73
I installed this one a couple weeks ago & really like it. A little smaller at 8" but plenty of sound for the TJ. Will work with any head unit or factory radio.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079PRCP9W/?tag=wranglerorg-20

1592409986677.png

Audio is subjective.
It is IMPOSSIBLE to have GREAT sound in a Jeep. You can't have proper "staging". Now, if you are not an audio snob, then you have options! First, forget the dash. Best case you can get 5 1/4 in there. I've seen people put SPL tweeters in but that kills the staging as your mids and bass/midbass will be overhead/underseat or in trunk.
Now, what "should" you do?... A good midbass component speakers in the pod over head and a high end tweeter separate. (I prefer SPL horns). Now, with the limit depth you should use a Neodymium style speakers. PRV makes cheap ones that push volume. You need to spray them with typical shoe water proofer as they are paper cones. But at $40 for a pair... :). Many of your Harley guys use these. Efficient. Add in the Horn where the light is or cut a new hole. Then, add a powered sub under seat. (or give up a 1' squared section in your trunk and have a larger sub.)