Fair price for re-gear?

WallyWest

TJ Addict
Have a 2003 Sport, going to 33" tires soon. Diffs are the standard Dana 35 I think, whatever the base model was for that year.

I want to go 4.88, with e-locker at least on the rear, maybe the front too. And get the upgraded stuff as well, I think it's called the super 35?

So yeah, I was thinking somewhere in the $3-4k range, but have no clue really.

The stronger dana 44 was optional then (my 2002 had it as an option) so if you had that I think you wouldn't need to upgrade the axle. You can look up your build sheet here with your vin to see if you have it or the 35

For 33's in your fairly PA flat terrain I'd go with 4.56.

Before deciding on where to put your locker, front or rear (and I usually recommend the rear first), you need to know for sure if you have a Dana 35 or the optional Dana 44. A stock Dana 35 is definitely not strong enough for a locker, especially with 33" tires.

A Dana 35 has a black plastic snap-in plug for the lubricant fill hole on the differential cover which is perfectly oval-shaped. A Dana 44 has a threaded steel bolt in the fill hole and its diff cover is shaped more angular shaped, kinda like a stop sign.

Dana 44-35 combo picture.jpg

If you have the Dana 35, you can beef it up so it's more than strong enough for a locker (and even 35" tires) with a Super 35 kit like from Revolution Gear.

If you don't want to pay for a Super 35 kit too, I'd put a lunchbox locker up front in your Dana 30, like an Aussie or No-Slip from Powertrax.

Regearing costs vary but typically they're $1400-1800 for the gears and labor. Locker costs would be additional, most shops don't charge extra to install them if they're also regearing the axles.

Have a 2003 Sport, going to 33" tires soon. Diffs are the standard Dana 35 I think, whatever the base model was for that year.

I want to go 4.88, with e-locker at least on the rear, maybe the front too. And get the upgraded stuff as well, I think it's called the super 35?

So yeah, I was thinking somewhere in the $3-4k range, but have no clue really.
Regearing my LJ now with 4.56 gears and they are charging 1850$

A s35 with elocker at 4.88, plus Dana 30 regear... prob lands around 4-5k.

If your like me, and needed new carriers... sye.. and some control arms... it will prob land around $6k with SoCal pricing.

Just had mine did. Revolution gears/shafts, lockers, swapped a Dana 44 for the 35. Installed my control arms and track bars. Was in the $6K range.

Ok, thanks for the info. I've already done the other stuff I plan on for the suspension. Still going to put a 1.25" body lift on it, but I have control arms, track bars, and a 2.5" suspension lift.

I definitely have Dana 35 then based on those pictures.

I was thinking 4.88 because I rarely drive it at freeway speeds anyway, and I'm not likely to stay in PA for much longer. One of the places I could end up is eastern TN, where there are plenty of mountain trails. That and I'm leaning towards 33X12.5 tires, and that width will add a bit more resistance compared to the narrower ones.

Going to be getting some quotes in the next few weeks so just wanted to know what ballpark I'm playing in. I'd like to have a fully locked rig, but not sure if it's worth the extra cost. I'll definitely do the super 35 though to beef things up for a rear locker, I'm pretty set on doing that much at least.

Ok, thanks for the info. I've already done the other stuff I plan on for the suspension. Still going to put a 1.25" body lift on it, but I have control arms, track bars, and a 2.5" suspension lift.

I was thinking 4.88 because I rarely drive it at freeway speeds anyway, and I'm not likely to stay in PA for much longer. One of the places I could end up is eastern TN, where there are plenty of mountain trails. That and I'm leaning towards 33X12.5 tires, and that width will add a bit more resistance compared to the narrower ones.

Going to be getting some quotes in the next few weeks so just wanted to know what ballpark I'm playing in. I'd like to have a fully locked rig, but not sure if it's worth the extra cost. I'll definitely do the super 35 though to beef things up for a rear locker, I'm pretty set on doing that much at least.
Go with the Super 35 kit from Revolution Gear. Its axle shafts have the correct 1541H heat treatment, not all do. Some Super 35 axle shafts have the incorrect 4340 type shafts which won't hold up to the type of outer bearings the Dana 35 uses.

If you are coming here (East TN) gear it for the hills for sure.

PA has hills.

Go 5.13 R&P.
5.13 for a 33" tire? Does PA have any freeways... cuz 5.13 is gonna have those rpms up.

I doubt the PA hills are any more steeper than California hills... 4.88 is throughly more than enough down here for a 33 inch tire.

Just my humble opinion.

Reactions: RINC