Fan shroud blew up

Sancho

Getting my $30 worth by hitting the text limit....
Supporting Member
Fan shroud blew up into 3 pieces.... really 2 major pieces and a bottom portion.

It is fixable with a good chemical adhesive, tape, and possibly bailing wire. Should I fix it or just but a new one?

Any safety reasons to be concerned about?

what made it "blow up"? Pretty odd for a stationary part that shouldn't really be under any significant load to come apart like that. Contact with the fan?

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
what made it "blow up"? Pretty odd for a stationary part that shouldn't really be under any significant load to come apart like that. Contact with the fan?

Sheared engine mounts causing the motor to be askew.

Fan hit the shroud on a particular big bump causing it to bust.

Further destruction caused when I was trying to remove it.

But basically 2 major pieces, and a mi or shard.

Looks repairable... but concerned about long term use when Offroad.

Sheared engine mounts causing the motor to be askew.

Fan hit the shroud on a particular big bump causing it to bust.

Further destruction caused when I was trying to remove it.

But basically 2 major pieces, and a mi or shard.

Looks repairable... but concerned about long term use when Offroad.

Ah. That'll do it.

I'd try to find a used one if it was me. I never seem to have very good luck getting things to stay together with epoxy when it's two edges butted together.

I’ve had great luck repairing things like that by drilling a bunch of small holes and using mechanics wire to “sew” it back together before using epoxy to cover the joints

I had a similar thought in mind.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I didn't wanna spend time fixing a "timebomb", but I didn't wanna rush and spend $80ish bucks on a new one.

I've sewed together the wheel well linings where they tear. They've always turned out really well, but for a fan shroud, it's so close to a very important part of the engine, I'd be prone to buy a new or used one...Not worth the risk on or off the trail.

Reactions: Sancho