Farm Jack Storage

First off let me profess my undying love for my handyman jack. I use em all the time. Found this fits in the Jeep better. 911 Racing makes this conversion kit for the HF pittsburgh aluminum jacks. And they're local...right around the corner in Bend, OR.

IMG_20220201_121446271.jpg

IMG_20220201_121457707.jpg

Looking for a farm jack storage solution for my 1997 TJ. Out of all of the options available I like the roll bar mounting bracket for inside storage. Just wondering how that will affect the soft top when I put the top in the down position. Any thoughts?

Don't be scared.
If you think you have the need, then go for it.
Just make sure it's very secure, and the lower the better.
Although, no reason to mount one just for show. Better off just strapping it down for times you actually go wheeling.

Depending on what terrain you wheel in a Hi-Lift can be a useful recovery tool. But as many have said it is not the correct tool for changing tires.

Reactions: LONGJP2
First off let me profess my undying love for my handyman jack. I use em all the time. Found this fits in the Jeep better. 911 Racing makes this conversion kit for the HF pittsburgh aluminum jacks. And they're local...right around the corner in Bend, OR.
I love the modified Pittsburgh aluminum jacks. When I took a break from Jeeps and owned a Raptor it seemed like everyone (but me) had one on an aluminum skid plate and in a quick disconnect cradle. My unmodified one is my go-to at home.

I built a storage compartment for the back of my LJ. The 48" Hi-Lift jack fits longways in it, along with a lot of other gear, and the whole compartment is only 6" tall. No back seat.

Storage_11.jpg

I don't know if a Hi-Lift jack will fit diagonally in your short bed, or if you need your rear seat. Perhaps you could build something like this.

In any case, I've been thinking about getting a different jack, and this thread pushed me over the edge. I ordered a Toyota telescoping screw jack on ebay, and will retire the heavy dangerous Hi-Lift jack to the garage. Or ebay.

Don’t feel too bad about wanting a farm jack. Many of us (myself included) at one time believed that having a farm jack was necessary and cool but thankfully it has been demonstrated that bottle jacks are superior and safer in nearly every way.
If you no longer have your factory jack or it doesn’t suit your likes, factory Toyota Land Cruiser bottle jacks are extremely well made and lift about 3 inches higher than the Jeep jack. I got mine on Craigslist for cheap.

View attachment 306439
My buddy had an FJ40, he counted on the Toyota jack it took 365 turns, bottom to top :)

Reactions: HornedToad
Depending on what terrain you wheel in a Hi-Lift can be a useful recovery tool. But as many have said it is not the correct tool for changing tires.
I always laugh at these comments and mostly blame the marketing...

Has anyone actually tried to use a farm jack to rescue a rig? Let me tell you, it's completely exhausting and frustrating. I did it once to help rescue a rig (there was no good way to get a proper winch line tug chain run without risk of the rescue rig getting stuck). It took probably >2 dozen resets on a 60" jack to get to the point where we could finally run the winch line to. By the end, I was beat and plain exhausted. Mind you now, this was in college - back when I played D1 football and was running sub 7-minute miles (as a 6'3", 315lb d-lineman). There is no f*$#(@$ way in hell I'd ever consider this a viable benefit nowadays... I'd rather gather supplies, make shelter, and become feral before winching my ass out with a farm jack :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Has anyone actually tried to use a farm jack to rescue a rig? Let me tell you, it's completely exhausting and frustrating. I did it once to help rescue a rig (there was no good way to get a proper winch line run without risk of the rescue rig getting stuck). It took probably >2 dozen resets on a 60" jack to get to the point where we could finally run the winch line to. By the end, I was beat and plain exhausted. Mind you now, this was in college - back when I played D1 football and was running sub 7-minute miles (as a 6'3", 315lb d-lineman). There is no f*$#(@$ way in hell I'd ever consider this a viable benefit nowadays... I'd rather gather supplies, make shelter, and become feral before winching my ass out with a farm jack :ROFLMAO:
As a matter of fact I have used it as a winch before I could afford an actual winch. Yep it was not fun but it worked. But that is not the only thing you can use it for but you already knew that right?

Reactions: John Cooper
The factory jack works fine up to 35" tires and 37" in a pinch. Lift height doesn't matter, my TJ has a 4" lift and this is my factory jack lifting my 35" tire off the ground nearly 4".

I stopped carrying mine nearly 20 years ago when I discovered it was never, for me, the right or best tool for the job.

View attachment 306423

I know "mine" in the second sentence is referring to your farm jack/Hi-Lift and not what the first sentence and picture show. Just making sure everyone sees what I see.

But that is not the only thing you can use it for but you already knew that right?
For sure - it's great for pulling fence posts and leveling campers - what I have used it mainly for in the past 20 years of HL jack ownership :)

As a tire-changing jack, it's awful. The handle does make a nice sleeve for a bent tie-rod however. I'd be more inclined to keep the handle in the Jeep actually.

Looking for a farm jack storage solution for my 1997 TJ. Out of all of the options available I like the roll bar mounting bracket for inside storage. Just wondering how that will affect the soft top when I put the top in the down position. Any thoughts?

I mounted mine crosswise behind the front seats, removed the base & used it to clamp it down. It is inside which keeps it clean.
As others have mentioned they are dangerous, and a bottle jack is safer & works great under the axle.

Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
I know "mine" in the second sentence is referring to your farm jack/Hi-Lift and not what the first sentence and picture show. Just making sure everyone sees what I see.
I can't figure out what the "mine" is that you're referring to in your reply to my post. The only jack in in my photo is the factory jack.

Although, no reason to mount one just for show. Better off just strapping it down for times you actually go wheeling.
What about "the look", the "stance", and the "it's a Jeep thing" thing? Almost all of the Hi-Lifts, shackles, MTs, lifts, and winches I see on Jeeps every single day are nothing but jewelry applied by people playing very expensive dress up games. There must be very important reasons or they wouldn't be spending all that money. :)

Has anyone actually tried to use a farm jack to rescue a rig? Let me tell you, it's completely exhausting and frustrating. I did it once to help rescue a rig (there was no good way to get a proper winch line run without risk of the rescue rig getting stuck). It took probably >2 dozen resets on a 60" jack to get to the point where we could finally run the winch line to. By the end, I was beat and plain exhausted. Mind you now, this was in college - back when I played D1 football and was running sub 7-minute miles (as a 6'3", 315lb d-lineman). There is no f*$#(@$ way in hell I'd ever consider this a viable benefit nowadays... I'd rather gather supplies, make shelter, and become feral before winching my ass out with a farm jack :ROFLMAO:
I would think you would just get the rope or strap tight by the time you were at the end of the throw on the jack

Reactions: pc1p
I would think you would just get the rope or strap tight by the time you were at the end of the throw on the jack
That's exactly what's wrong with trying to use a Hi-Lift as a winch, straps and ropes stretch enough that the Hi-Lift can't pull enough length to move the vehicle much.