Fine to Rough Vibration

MikeJTA

About a couple of months ago I was driving on the freeway and I noticed a very fine vibration in the steering wheel. I would go from rough spots to smooth and it seemed to always be there.
Now, last week I was on the freeway and was driving at 60, and accelerated to 70 to pass a truck and the vibration became much more noticeably rough. Though it was still a rapid type of rough in comparison to an out of balance tire.
I can now drive about 60-63 and not feel it, but accelerate to close to 70 and it is there every time.
I reached under and checked the driveshaft, but nothing too out of the ordinary. Seemed very tight.

Any ideas?

I’ll bet dollars to donuts it’s due to improperly balanced wheels / tires. They may have gone out of balance at some point or one of the balancing weights may have fallen off. Either way, that’s almost always what this sort of thing ends up being.

Reactions: The Real Lxxtsy
In the steering wheel usually means out of balance tire/s. Have them balanced and see what happens. And balanced 100% as the TJ's are sensitive to tire balance.