First car?

I'm thinking of getting my daughter a wrangler tj as her first car but I’m worried about safety and reliability. Would it be a good first car?

There are many options that would be a better choice for a first vehicle, Jeeps drive like Jeeps do because of several different reasons and young drivers are probably not up to the challenge in my opinion.Both of my kids started out in Ford Explorers then graduated to 4 Runners Although my first vehicle was a CJ 5 with a spring over axle lift on a set of 33"CO-OP grip spurs , it rode and handled like shit but probably made a better driver out of me.

Reactions: primetime4
I think the OP has left the building! But the regulars here are on it!

I bought my twin sons TJ’s. It enabled me to have one platform to learn rather than multiple. It was fun building them together. The #1 thing they complain about is gas mileage. One of them wants a truck. Good luck getting much better gas mileage. It may improve slightly, but it won’t be much. They are super fun rigs, but I think younger people see them as dad cars. They do require tinkering, especially now that they are an older car.

You know you are pretty well right on the money-

I don’t think my sons are willing to put the energy in it to keep one of these things in the condition I like to keep it in

It doesn’t have enough room for all their buddies

Basically they’re not as attractive to young people as much as I thought they would be- When I was 20 years old we thought the dude in a jeep was on top of the world.

I’m OK being the dude in the jeep.

Last edited:
What ever you decide, just understand Jeeps or any 4 wheeler for that matter, will make liars of even the best kids when they try to tell you "The front axel just blew up by itself", or it twisted the drive shaft off, "I wasn't trying to launch it!" Just sayin they are defiantly going to "test it out" ! ;)

That’s the gospel truth

A little bit of water means they drove it in up to the hood.

It got a little muddy means you can’t tell what color it is.

I let my son take mine one evening and he immediately went to the deepest creek crossing in the county and went through it- He has not been allowed in it since.

Basically they’re not as attractive to young people as much as I thought they would be- When I was 20 years old we thought the dude in a jeep was on top of the world.

Cool back in the day because every Tom, Dick, and Harry didn't have one.
Now Jeeps are the new mini-van.

Reactions: AndyG
IMO, calling a Jeep Wrangler a car, is an total insult. A car is a Prius. The good thing about a Jeep Wrangler TJ/YJ as a first vehicle, is that you normally aren't trying to drive super fast. It is mostly a cruising vehicle or a rock crawler. No one in their right mind tries to drive super fast in a Jeep Wrangler. Take the top off the box, and enjoy the cruise. It makes you drive safely and cautiously. So yes, for these reasons, it is a good first vehicle for a sane driver.

I got my son a TJ. My thinking is that without purposely trying, it can’t be driven fast like a race car and it takes awhile to get up to speed. Based on safety, the driver is only safe if they drive safe. Sure it can be caused by the other driver but as long as they take measures to mitigate it. As far as maintenance goes, I almost feel like I have to force him outside to teach him about it and work on the Jeep. He turns 16 in August so hasn’t really had any alone time in it to make it his own. I plan to let him drive it for a year and if it’s just not something he’s into, he’ll get a lame car.
@AndyG you’re right about them not being as attractive to young people but it still doesn’t make any sense to me. Jeep with the top off vs a basic sedan….we all know what we’d choose.

Reactions: John Cooper
I got my son a TJ. My thinking is that without purposely trying, it can’t be driven fast like a race car and it takes awhile to get up to speed. Based on safety, the driver is only safe if they drive safe. Sure it can be caused by the other driver but as long as they take measures to mitigate it. As far as maintenance goes, I almost feel like I have to force him outside to teach him about it and work on the Jeep. He turns 16 in August so hasn’t really had any alone time in it to make it his own. I plan to let him drive it for a year and if it’s just not something he’s into, he’ll get a lame car.
@AndyG you’re right about them not being as attractive to young people but it still doesn’t make any sense to me. Jeep with the top off vs a basic sedan….we all know what we’d choose.

When we go ride dirt bikes....The parking area will be a bunch of 60 year old gray-haired guys.

You might occasionally see a young buck.

I guess things change over time- Or maybe I try to assign my likes and so forth to other people...

When I was 19 I had a really nice CJ seven- I’m pretty sure I probably slept in it a night or too..... I was absolutely crazy about that jeep.

Now I’m going to go out on a limb a little bit and I’m not pointing fingers or stereotyping or anything-

But I do see less masculinity with our younger generation overall.

I see more extended adolescence.

And screen sucking is a way of life.

Kids need to get out and get dirty and get the wind in their hair- live. Turn it up.

They’re going to look back one day and have three children and a mortgage and this time it’s going to be a thing of the past.

Here we are two days later and I see no comments about the chance of the daughter and her friends driving around topless in the Jeep.

FWIW, we're not sure of her age. Maybe she's 18, been driving for a couple years, graduated High School and now NEEDS a car Jeep to go topless in.

Here we are two days later and I see no comments about the chance of the daughter and her friends driving around topless in the Jeep.

FWIW, we're not sure of her age. Maybe she's 18, been driving for a couple years, graduated High School and now NEEDS a car Jeep to go topless in.

You’re suggesting that my TEENAGE DAUGHTER be driving around with her friends topless.. not cool man..

True..kinda like the only guy with a truck when somebody needs to move.

Here they have graduated licenses so you can't haul other kids around for the first couple years.

Not that I agree with it but I don't need my kid riding around with anyone either.