First Jeep

wyorob

Hello!

Got my first Jeep this weekend, a 2001 TJ 60th Anniversary Edition. Not a whole lot done to it, previous owner put a towing bumper on it and a 3.5" lift with tires. After driving it all weekend I love it. Always wanted a Jeep since I was 16, never had one until now.

Here's some pictures, I actually haven't taken many - mostly just cruised around town getting a feel for it. I don't currently plan to do any crazy rock crawling or wall climbing, although I'll definitely be taking it on some questionable two track roads for backpacking/hunting trips. Right now I plan to put a new front bumper and winch on, and maybe a cb down the road. (the previous owner wired it up for cb, but the hardware is missing).

IMG_20200131_171536920.jpg

Screenshot_20200131-184409.png

Screenshot_20200131-184522.png

Reactions: bedhed
Looks good! I've contemplated on getting the KO2s for mine. How do you like them so far?

Welcome. Believe me that 90% of the time, the less mods the PO did, the better off you are.

Lots of good people and info here

Welcome and congrats, looks real clean.

Looks like "Silverstone" color, I like it.

Welcome to the forum, and great looking TJ! You're definitely in the right place (y)

Thanks everyone! Tons of information here!

So after combing through here and driving around all weekend, I'm 50/50 that I need a SYE/Drivelines, and maybe a regear.

The previous owner put a 3.5" suspension lift on, and dropped the transfer case 1". Im not sure if this effectively makes the lift 2.5" for the purposes of drivelines/transfer case relationship or not. It seems like the concensus here is that anything above 3" the sye/drivelines are a must, and regardless are a good idea with any lift?

To my knowledge, the gearing is stock. I'm not 100% what that number is, but the stamped tag is illegible. Plan to put it on stands and count the tire/driveline revolutions just to be sure this weekend.

From what I've seen here regarding using driveline angle as a feeler for whether or not to sye, it looks like it would be a good idea. Pic attached.

This place is going to be a great source of information, I can tell already. Unfortunately I'm learning on the fly. I've wrenched on my GMC work truck a little bit and a sportbike when I was racing, hopefully that helps me along the learning curve as I try to get this thing dialed in.

IMG_20200203_071603700.jpg

IMG_20200203_071654465.jpg

Looks good! I've contemplated on getting the KO2s for mine. How do you like them so far?
I've driven around on them for about two weeks now, they seem fine enough. Probably a bit more tire than is necessary for the off-roading I'll be doing, but more is better than not enough, right? I do a lot of travel on pavement, even to get to where I hunt (San Diego to the Sierras/Idaho Panhandle) so I'm kind of leaning towards something a la the Goodyear Duratrac or AT Adventure, for longevity with those long miles. I run the AT Adventure on my GMC 2500 work truck, and they've never let me down in the mountains and I get a hellacious long life out of them.

I still have a lot to learn about the suspension. I noticed that the front has some quick disconnects and out of the way mounts for a bar (upper control arms?) It looks like if one was planning to fully articulate the suspension travel, a fella would pop those off and swing them up and out of the way. I'm assuming that's more for a rock crawling type scenario?

I've driven around on them for about two weeks now, they seem fine enough. Probably a bit more tire than is necessary for the off-roading I'll be doing, but more is better than not enough, right? I do a lot of travel on pavement, even to get to where I hunt (San Diego to the Sierras/Idaho Panhandle) so I'm kind of leaning towards something a la the Goodyear Duratrac or AT Adventure, for longevity with those long miles. I run the AT Adventure on my GMC 2500 work truck, and they've never let me down in the mountains and I get a hellacious long life out of them.

I still have a lot to learn about the suspension. I noticed that the front has some quick disconnects and out of the way mounts for a bar (upper control arms?) It looks like if one was planning to fully articulate the suspension travel, a fella would pop those off and swing them up and out of the way. I'm assuming that's more for a rock crawling type scenario?
Good to hear! I main hold-up with those is the load range E that I'd be forced to use with these 16" moabs. Keeping my eyes open for other options for sure.

From what you described with the disconnects, it sounds like the PO put quick disconnect sway bar links on. You're right though. Pop those loose, and your front travel is set free for off-roading. Not such a safe move for highway though, as you can imagine.😆