First post for the new guy: Suspension advice and help needed

First of all, kudos to you for reading and researching and getting a good handle on what you need to do.

If you have not already, add this to the order list or find it locally and get it ASAP.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F09CEA/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Start spraying all of the bolts that you plan to remove as soon as you get it, several days before you plan on doing the work. Spray them every day, *especially* the upper rear shock bolts. Spray them from the top and the bottom.

Over the Christmas break I was able to replace that drag link end which was showing wear. I also found the left rear sway bar link and the front right sway bar link to be loose. Those two items by themselves made huge difference in the handling of the jeep.
Sounds like you're making great progress! It's interesting how big of a difference those little things can make!

Ranger,
I really have zero experience level so not sure. I want the jeep to handle so that it does not feel like it is swaying all over the road. I do not get any o the death wobble that I keep hearing about, but it just sways. Going into curves almost feels like it is swaying from the rear and a little sketchy. The 16 yo boy child is driving this. Good thing is, it keeps him from driving fast, the bad thing is, it just does not feel stable. I want it to feel stable and safe on the road and feel like I am in control. Not like I am just along for the ride. Wish I knew how to explain it better. If you fly, it feels like an uncoordinated turn where I am getting punchy on the rudder.

So, you also mentioned rear control arms, is there a test of some sort that I can do to tell they need replacement or if the business are bad? When I am up under the jeep, blind trying to lead here, it looks like all that stuff is possibly the original stuff, even the shocks. I am thinking maybe the rear just got neglected.

Thanks again for all the help. Oh, and by the way, people at work tell me my emails are too long and I just need to get to the damn point. Guessing my posts are like that too. But I appreciate the help!

My TJ had the rear fishtail swaying problem you described and I know that white knuckle feeling ur talking about. What fixed it was new control arms. ( unfortunatly all 8) When I inspected the bushings, they looked fine but they made that same knocking noise yours makes. When I pulled them they looked fine but the rubber bushing were softer "though they looked intact and no tears". Once I put new control arms on and adjuste them. It rode like a Cadillac. I basically replaced every other part of my suspension before that because of the price of the arms. None of them fixed the fishtailing and the knocking when I turned sharp, braked and accelerated sharply. But the control arms fixed all of it. And now I drive with 2 fingers holding the bottom of the wheel. I'm not saying this is your problem but reading your description and video, it sounds exactly the same as mine did. Let me know if you need guidance on this. I've been through a lot with this and can probably save you some money running after the wrong things like I did. Also you can probably buy stock control arms if you truly have a 2.5 in lift. They are much cheaper. Adjustable control arms will make a 2.5 lift ride slightly better. Do you know how to measure you springs to determine you lift? It kindof looks bigger than 2.5". But it's tough to tell from pics.

Update on what I have been doing. Over the Christmas break I was able to replace that drag link end which was showing wear. I also found the left rear sway bar link and the front right sway bar link to be loose. Those two items by themselves made huge difference in the handling of the jeep. Can actually drive down the road without looking drunk. Tie rod and tie rod end, as well as new shocks are scheduled to arrive today and hopefully get on this weekend. (hopefully after reading all the stories about rear shock mounting bolts) Then next payday will be new bump stops, cups, bumpers and that stuff, and maybe swing arms depending on how the commission checks look. Oh, and the damage from all the Christmas bills coming due:oops::oops:

Glad to hear it's on it's way back to driving the way it should at least ;)