First time posting: trouble starting!

Paparock1

Angry SE
Supporting Member
Hello, first time posting here. I live in Lower Alabama, from Springfield Oregon. Retired Army, just bought my first Jeep, 1997 TJ SE 2.5, 3.5 lift, 4.56 gears,... I have already used lots of information on these pages to fix multiple things so thank you for all the answers and information already provided.

I do have one issue that has me stumped. out of the blue I will shut the jeep off like to get gas and when I try to start it all the lights come on in the dash but the starter doesn't turn over. It doesn't even click. I have owned the jeep a few weeks now and it has done this to me about three times. Not sure if this is a known problem but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again for making a great site and I hope to contribute in some fashion.

Try looking up this thread in the TJ General Discussion section: "Help diagnosing starting issue"
This problem arises more frequently than you'd think! ;)

Squatch thank you I will do that now,,,, its Manual a was thinking something like that. I engaged the clutch several times and then slid my foot off the pedal to let it return quickly (to slam it) to see if that would jar it or something. I tapped on the starter with a brass rod. then I just sat there for about 30 seconds wondering what could it be. Then I said out loud "Jeep you start". I turned the key and it fired right up............ either she is voice activated or she was feeling playful but either way after a long work night I just wanted to get home. I will do some searching.

Thanks again

Try turning on the headlights and see if they dim when you try to start it in a no start situation. If they dim then the starter is pulling amps but there isn't enough to engage it and I would check to make sure the battery cables are perfectly clean and tight. Also check the grounds.

If the lights don't dim I would first try swapping the starter relay under the hood. You could also try turning the key on and jumping the starter relay and see if it starts. The symptoms also point to a neutral safety switch, an ignition actuator pin or an ignition key cylinder, although I don't think I've heard of an intermittent actuator I guess it's possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Last edited:
well I spoke to soon, infact that very day she went crazy on me. turn key and nothing but light, then turned key and she turned over but would not start. finally got her to start then a mile down the road just went dead. Got her to start again and then when turned off just lights again on the next start. Got her home and while holding the key in the start position pushing the clutch several time she started up. Moved her in the garage to do the clutch bypass on a 1997 and thought that was simple, but still no start. still waiting for the actuator pin to arrive. Again without this sight I would be smacking my head on a wall somewhere.

well I thought it was all going smooth, but somehow with everything lined up (obviously wrong) it goes back together. now everything is jammed up to the point nothing is turning and cannot even remove the key. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thank you