First vehicle / daily driver wheeler

@NashvilleTJ how would it be on 40's and 5.13's. I have only read a couple of posts of people DD a tj on 40's WITH 5.13's. In my area, I love the 4.88's and 35's combo. I slap it in second and bomb through the rutted bogs and slipper rock ascents. That also begs the question, why 40s? If I lock up my front I have no doubt it'll be a very capable rig.
!
I’ve never personally run that combo, so I can’t speak from experience. But - you can take a good guess based on your own experience, and a little math.

You know how your rig runs now on 35’s and 4.88’s (which I have run by the way, and it was not bad. After supercharging my old 4.0 that combo was much better).

Now the math: 40’s and 5.13’s increases your tire diameter by about 30%, while only increasing your gearing by about 5%. So, it’s going to be much more of a dog than it is now.

Add to that you will likely be in the 10 mpg range, and the ride and overall handling will be diminished on the 40’s.

Whether or not you could daily drive it is up to you. Although you certainly could, it would not be pleasant. But you are young - you can deal with a lot less “pleasant“ than me. 🙂

I hope that helps.

Reactions: Morks and Wildman
Appreciate the response, and sorry for the delayed one. I talked to a local guy who recently finished his lj build on prorock 60's with 5.38s on a 40" trep. He said it's definitely slow off the line but cruises nice and stays in a good rpm range. With the 5.13s, he said it may not be great, just as you mentioned. I will definitely have to meet up with him one day and see the performance firsthand. By then he'll have some mpg info as well, not a DD but takes it to work once a week and is a decent ways away.

With that being said, once I take a look I will have a better understanding of how much of a dog it'll be and go from there. If I had to regear and do a selectable then I'd be able to have my first choice axles as well... lots to think about!

The ongoing battle of no heat has come to an end (y). When I first bought my jeep I had no clue what I was doing. I had a shop install a heater core (spectra brand) and have not had heat for a little over 2 years now. Tested everything, flushed the coolant, and did any little thing you could think of. I thought it had to be a faulty heater core. To make a long story short, the heater core that was installed blew up on me and I knew I had to do something. Got a performance radiator brand core, just installed it 2 days ago and boy do I finally have heat!

IMG_0556.JPG

Unfortunately with the dash removal I smacked my windshield and received a nice crack, the trade-off, a cracked windshield for some heat on those -40 mornings is 100% worth it LOL. For about 5 hrs of work, and my first heater core job, I am very pleased!

Last edited: