Fitting 35s on a 4 inch lift

Tj's tj

Supporting Member
I'm aware there's a ton of lift and tire threads but I can't find one that has all my answers, I have a 65th anniversary 06 tj and currently have 33s but I want to get 35s Kate's on so I'm looking at lifts I have roughly 1000 to spend and I want something pretty complete with everything I need and I'm kinda new to jeeps so I'm not sure what all I do need, I'm pretty sure I want rancho rs5000x shocks. Its my daily driver but will definitely see some Ohio trails mud and maybe light rock crawling. Thanks!

If you want 35s to fit, you need 5" of lift, no question about it.

This is commonly done with a 4" suspension lift and a 1" body lift.

Since you don't have much to spend, I would suggest piecing together your own lift using some 4" springs, Rancho shocks, adjustable track bars, and a 1" body lift. It's going to be very tight at $1000, especially when you factor in that you'll need adjustable control arms and ideally a SYE / DC driveshaft (especially if you want to take it off road and do mudding / rock crawling).

Really, $1000 isn't going to be enough to do it right. Sorry to say, but it's true. Once you start adding up the cost of things, it's going to be pushing it.

If you manage to get by without the SYE / DC driveshaft, your transfer case is going to be dropped so low that it's going to be a big hinderance off-road, particularly in the mud and rocks.

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying that you're probably going to need to look for a lot of used parts, and very cheap, low quality parts as well.

Because this is ideally what you'll need at a minimum:
  • 4" springs
  • 1" body lift
  • Front adjustable track bar
  • Rear adjustable track bar
  • Slip yoke eliminator (SYE)
  • Double cardan driveshaft
  • Rear upper adjustable control arms (at a minimum)
  • Extended brake lines
  • Bump stop extensions
  • Shocks
I may be forgetting something, but all of that stuff is going to be hard to do for $1000. My suggestion is to save your money until you have enough money to do it right.

Don't forget about upgraded brakes and steering, if they have not already been done.

Oh yes, you're definitely going to want to upgrade the brakes as well, as 35s on stock brakes is going to be dangerous, as your stopping power will be greatly decreased. The steering as well would be a wise idea to upgrade.

I'm sorry @Tj's tj, fitting 35s and doing it the right way simply can't be done for $1000.

Like I said previously, save your money until you have a more realistic budget--if you want to do it right that is.

I don't mean to be discouraging, I'm just trying to be honest.

Reactions: Serbonze
You will need a bigger budget. A single kit won't give you what you need to begin running 35s without significant compromises.

Look closely at what it takes to run 32-33s.

A grand won’t even buy the tires to get under the lift?
the tires will come in little less than a year and I'm going to trade in and get some cash back.
Oh yes, you're definitely going to want to upgrade the brakes as well, as 35s on stock brakes is going to be dangerous, as your stopping power will be greatly decreased. The steering as well would be a wise idea to upgrade.

I'm sorry @Tj's tj, fitting 35s and doing it the right way simply can't be done for $1000.

Like I said previously, save your money until you have a more realistic budget--if you want to do it right that is.

I don't mean to be discouraging, I'm just trying to be honest.
So you how much would I have to spend to get a quality lift and everything I need. You listed some stuff at minimal so for the best all around lift and not pulling cost what all would I need? Thank you you guys are really helpful😊

I don't have any issue putting pieces together and not getting a lift kit, if I shouldn't get a kit what parts and brands shoukd I buy to make a good lift

So you how much would I have to spend to get a quality lift and everything I need. You listed some stuff at minimal so for the best all around lift and not pulling cost what all would I need? Thank you you guys are really helpful😊

Well, not including the cost of the tires (which would be around $1500 just for the tires), you'd probably need $3000-$4000 in order to do it right, using good quality parts.

This wouldn't include a re-gear (which would be an additional $1200-$2000 (since you'll really be hurting for power after adding 35s).

I know it sounds like a lot of money, but believe me, things add up really quick if you want to do it once and do it right.

I also didn't factor in the cost of labor above. Those prices would assume you were installing it yourself.

I’d start off by purchasing all of the supporting mods that you’ll need. Use that $1,000 for SYE, adjustable arms, brake lines etc. Once you have those things installed and sorted out I’d look into buying tires. Springs, shocks and tires should be the last things you purchase, in my opinion.

Personally, I run a Currie/Savvy setup with Bilsteins and 4” springs, adjustable trac bars front and rear. Currently on stock 3.73’s and it’s painfully slow. Before I upgraded to the Currie Currectlync setup I ran a ZJ setup for a few years without issue. I’m in the same position as you, daily driver status with the occasional wheeling trips. So I understand that you’re not hell bent on breaking something with every outing. I think you could get away with running a SYE, 4” springs of your choice, and a set of adjustable upper/lower control arms. Invest in trac bars before you throw on a dropped pitman arm or relocation brackets. Buy once, cry once. You can run a ZJ steering setup(around $200) and still get away with mild wheeling. If you can swing the price, hold off and just go with the Currectlync from the beginning. Again, buy once cry once. Wait for deals, be smart and resourceful with your purchases and you can make that $1,000 go a decent way.

Last edited: