Fixed 2005 TJ Gas Tank Overflow Issue

FTI76

Brian Flad
Supporting Member
Installed Metalcloak GTS today so figured it was a good time to fix the overflow issue correctly as pointed out by @mrblaine

Before

fa4f8fb2430bf65d53b5caad77fd0c97.jpg

After

11dc0d0dd8ad083bf2428fe1b38a1f64.jpg

Installed GTS

5deb30abd370c72be9f5dc3236f66894.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looks great. I don't think I've seen the MC tank installed yet.

@tomtaylz

Remind you of a project on the list :ROFLMAO: Lots of work just to get rid of some plastic.

Reactions: tomtaylz
Thoughts on the MC skid? Any clearance gains, specifically rear track bar clearance? Well done on the overflow fix btw. I still need to fix mine, but dragging my feet till funds become available for a new skid.

Reactions: FTI76 and Alex01
Thoughts on the MC skid? Any clearance gains, specifically rear track bar clearance? Well done on the overflow fix btw. I still need to fix mine, but dragging my feet till funds become available for a new skid.
With the lift it would be super easy. Just park the tank on a cart and hit the up button on the lift. I better buy my parts quickly and head over soon as your list keeps growing. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: bobthetj03
Can you describe the fix and how it works? How does that part differ from the OE?

If I remember correctly, those plastic nubs on the side are what stick.. so sanding them down allows the plunger to move properly in the sleeve.

Memory is somewhat fuzzy... I'll let the experts weigh in.

Edit... check this video.. arou d the 4 min mark.

I looked it up with no volume.. but I believe he talks about the solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
If I remember correctly, those plastic nubs on the side are what stick.. so sanding them down allows the plunger to move properly.

Memory is somewhat fuzzy... I'll let the experts weigh in.
I recall the same thing. Blaine has described rubbing them on the ground until the nubs are flat.

I've got some new rear springs to install too.
:ROFLMAO: I may end up staying the weekend at a hotel at this rate.

If we’re talking about the splash back issue, It’s the rollover valve in the tank, it sticks in it’s sort of cage which causes the overflow issues. Taking a dremmel to the plastic nubs allow it to perform as intended. It’s not needed unless your tank throws gas back at you when you fill up like mine does

Reactions: mots and Alex01
Last edited:
Reactions: FTI76
I had this super slow fill problem start last month. I did this today after I ran the gas tank until the empty light was on and was super easy. Wish I just went ahead and did it a couple months ago when i replaced my fuel pump as a preventative measure. Much faster this time since i knew what I was doing. Took about an hour

I popped out the cage and my plunger was indeed sticking bad. I used a sharp knife to cut the tabs off.

Everything works perfect now!

Reactions: FTI76 and Rob5589

Skid bolted together nicely and install went pretty smooth. I have a body lift so I gained about an inch of clearance. Taking it wheeling next weekend but it’s just a beefier slab of metal so I don’t expect any problems with it. I don’t see any interference issues. It does come into contact with the tailpipe a bit so I wrapped that with exhaust tape to buffer clanks.

Reactions: bobthetj03
@Jerry Bransford, the two raised "sliders" on the plunger are what hang up inside the cage. File them down until it slides freely inside the cage and more splashback or slow filling.

The speculation is that some of the additives put into the fuel causes the plastic to distort enough to prevent the plunger from flowing freely. I can see why people don’t want to deal with this fix but tackling this during the skid install made sense.

The speculation is that some of the additives put into the fuel causes the plastic to distort enough to prevent the plunger from flowing freely. I can see why people don’t want to deal with this fix but tackling this during the skid install made sense.

Either the plunger swells slightly or the cage it rides in shrinks ever so slightly, maybe some combination thereof. The reason the symptoms vary so much is the tolerances are different between them and they cause different issues.

If the plunger sticks at the bottom, you don't notice anything. If it sticks and then unsticks while filling, you get the spit back issue. If it sticks part way down, you get a slower fill. If it sticks near the top, you get a really slow fill problem.

I've fixed several now that owners had installed the GM band-aid in the filler hose. The fix solved all of their problems that were still present after their "fix".