Fixed yoke vs fixed flange?

Lady_10_Lug

Supporting Member
Hey folks purchased a woods driveshaft under the assumption I had a fixed flange setup. I crawl under and find a fixed yolk....am I missing something here?!
HELP!
553FDB1E-9E74-4E5C-AE41-A0A8DF6B6976.jpeg
23A73BAC-67C1-475A-90F7-29D4C49514A0.jpeg
23A73BAC-67C1-475A-90F7-29D4C49514A0.jpeg

Nope! you ordered the wrong drive shaft.

What size lift to you have?

Why did you need to replace it to begin with?

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
No SYE is needed, that's a Rubicon tcase. You need to get back in touch with Tom Wood's and tell them you accidentally ordered a flange style but needed a u-joint style CV joint. They should be able to swap the part from the slip-joint forward to get you going.

Nope! you ordered the wrong drive shaft. To use the one you ordered you would need to install an SYE kit and then the length you ordered may not be correct.

What size lift to you have?

Why did you need to replace it to begin with?
6”

Thank you! They are awesome folks!
They are indeed. I added a comment above that they can likely just swap the part forward of the slip-joint on the shaft to get you going.

And if you're having big vibrations, is the rear pinion angle set properly? The rear axle's pinion shaft should be pointing up directly in line with the driveshaft.

Like this....

cv_angle.gif

They are indeed. I added a comment above that they can likely just swap the part forward of the slip-joint on the shaft to get you going.

And if you're having big vibrations, is the rear pinion angle set properly? The rear axle's pinion shaft should be pointing up directly in line with the driveshaft.

Like this....

View attachment 224036
Im on a 6” lift but I’m getting ready to take the entire suspension off. I’ll see what I have to work with! Thank you so much for the info!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
No SYE is needed, that's a Rubicon tcase. You need to get back in touch with Tom Wood's and tell them you accidentally ordered a flange style but needed a u-joint style CV joint. They should be able to swap the part from the slip-joint forward to get you going.
Damn you caught my mistake before I was able to edit it. You're too quick sometimes :)

• Haha
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
TW Driveshafts has OUTSTANDING customer service.
Just give Tom a call and I am sure he will take care of the problem.

One of our group had damaged one of the TW driveshafts due to his aggressive use of the skinny pedal and Tom personally brought a new driveshaft to the event "Good Public Relations and Customer Service".
A Jeep Technician friend know Tom Woods and while in Moab several years ago I met Tom and our group went to dinner at the Moab Brewery.

TW Driveshafts has OUTSTANDING customer service.
Just give Tom a call and I am sure he will take care of the problem.

One of our group had damaged one of the TW driveshafts due to his aggressive use of the skinny pedal and Tom personally brought a new driveshaft to the event "Good Public Relations and Customer Service".
A Jeep Technician friend know Tom Woods and while in Moab several years ago I met Tom and our group went to dinner at the Moab Brewery.
I had the pleasure of wandering around a 4x4 show with Tom Wood years ago, he is just the nicest guy to chat with. He makes everyone feel like they're his long-lost old friend. You don't meet many people as nice as Tom is.

Reactions: CharlesHS
Im on a 6” lift but I’m getting ready to take the entire suspension off. I’ll see what I have to work with! Thank you so much for the info!

Wait until you're done making adjustments to start ordering driveshafts. You're only going to have to do it again because the length needed will change.

Is that a Rubicon case with the flange replaced to a yoke? I'm not aware of any Rubicon years coming with a CV yoke output.

Is that a Rubicon case with the flange replaced to a yoke? I'm not aware of any Rubicon years coming with a CV yoke output.
It's not a CV yoke output, it's a u-joint output yoke. That type of yoke doesn't know the difference between a u-joint and a u-joint that's part of a CV. Mine has that u-joint yoke-style output shaft and it came that way from the factory.

20210206_135944_resized.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Fouledplugs
It's not a CV yoke output, it's a u-joint output yoke. That type of yoke doesn't know the difference between a u-joint and a u-joint that's part of a CV. Mine has that u-joint yoke-style output shaft and it came that way from the factory.

View attachment 224057

CV yokes and non-CV yokes are two different things.

What you and OP pictured are both CV yokes.

View attachment 224057
I thought you still had the NV241OR in that thing, no? If so, it came with a flange adapter on the harmonic balancer that has been removed and replaced with a yoke.

Reactions: jjvw and toximus

View attachment 224057
There absolutely is a difference between a CV yoke and a non CV yoke. The 241 also did not come with a CV yoke from the factory.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
The bottom line is neither the OP nor I have a flanged output shaft and we are both running CV driveshafts. A flanged output shaft is not required to run a CV joint.