Fixing a busted console lid

jblues1969

I'm going to log my progress in this attempt to repair a broken console lid.

The previous owner must have stepped on it or something. It's busted through.

Rv5LqYgZdRZSdRr3RIjp8hxw=w2577-h1940-no?authuser=0.jpg

They put a rough country cover on it, but I hate the tire tread look, so I bought a new cover that matches my neoprene seat covers. I want to repair it structurally and make it look at least decent.

I'm beginning to wish I had a larger 3D printer, because if I had a 400mm one, I could potentially print a whole new lid. Instead, I'm going to print diamonds to insert into these corrugations underneath.

v-r9K186FUt_H0S8dQNhsalg=w2577-h1940-no?authuser=0.jpg

Here's a proof of concept:

uPIdnsXpaFyDfolErptTvR8A=w2577-h1940-no?authuser=0.jpg

After printing those, I realized I could print larger diamonds with slots to pull together the edges of the broken pieces better. This is what I will be epoxying into place:

DPjU0arA8Q0KSa0m2a96vHVQ=w1461-h1940-no?authuser=0.jpg

It's too damn cold in NC to pour epoxy right now, so that will be on hold for a couple of days. I'll be back with the results of that later on.

Next steps:
1. Wait for it to warm up
2. Epoxy the diamonds into place
3. Sand the top
4. Fill cracks with epoxy or super glue
5. Sand it again
6. Color Bond

Fixing something yourself is aways rewarding. If you finish and are noy happy. I have the same color lid that I am not using as I have a ammo can. It does jave the tread cover on it also but it is not broken. You can have it you only pay shipping.

It's not too cold if you do it on the kitchen counter! The wife loves the smell of epoxy!

Follow me for more relationship advice....

LOL! It's on the kitchen counter all clamped together right now. A few years back my parents and me and my wife decided to buy a big house and all move in together to avoid retirement community savings grabs, so my mom is the one that won't tolerate that for long. I think I have 24 hours.

Fixing something yourself is aways rewarding. If you finish and are noy happy. I have the same color lid that I am not using as I have a ammo can. It does jave the tread cover on it also but it is not broken. You can have it you only pay shipping.

I'll get back to you on that. Even if this works, I may do that anyhow. Color doesn't matter much since I still have 2 cans of Color Bond. I'm halfway considering doing it in yellow. :D

Reactions: Paparock1
I have used JB weld as a filler- works well on old 60’s steering wheel cracks and is sandable- just throwing out an option

OK here's the wrap up. I didn't get it looking like new, of course. but it's solid and not terrible looking, honestly.

Sanded (80 grit) and superglued.
HAHcpLr6RATBnHKRTSH5Y9fQ=w2577-h1940-no?authuser=0.jpg

Sanded again (80 grit)
wXntMbxeEFgFfdYQhX1pPEDA=w1461-h1940-no?authuser=0.jpg

First coat of Color Bond
vXPIVXX6fEC2v-cgwcMIhNQQ=w1461-h1940-no?authuser=0.jpg

Sanded with 180 grit, then another pass with Color Bond, and this is what I'm calling "done"
hnbxw79MS1k3s2CFLxz3o_H_g=w895-h1396-no?authuser=0.jpg

It's solid as a rock. I bet you can actually stand on it like the previous owner did, but without breaking it.

Now I regret throwing mine in the dumpster. It had a long horizontal crack I thought it was toast. Now I’m looking at a $80 replacement on eBay :(

OK here's the wrap up. I didn't get it looking like new, of course. but it's solid and not terrible looking, honestly.

Sanded (80 grit) and superglued.
View attachment 387372

Sanded again (80 grit)
View attachment 387373

First coat of Color Bond
View attachment 387374

Sanded with 180 grit, then another pass with Color Bond, and this is what I'm calling "done"
View attachment 387375
It's solid as a rock. I bet you can actually stand on it like the previous owner did, but without breaking it.

Nice work. What were your material costs for the 3d printing, and how long did it take to print?

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.