Flag Etiquette

rookieTJ

Supporting Member
Hi All,

I'm pretty well versed in flag etiquette, but I have hit a stump. I've fabricated a mount for my tire carrier, but this would leave my US flag centered. Now usually the US flag when flown on a vehicle should be on the passenger side, before I mount my flag, I am curious, is it okay to fly a US flag on a vehicle centered? Being a VET, I am kind of ashamed of myself not knowing this.

Mine has always been on the driver side because I prefer it there. People who get caught up in arbitrary rules about how to fly the American flag forget what the flag represents in the first place, at least in my opinion.
If you were a soldier you know what it meant to mount it on the passenger side and it is not an arbitrary rule. The flag shall be to the observers left side as you face the vehicle.

Last edited:
If you were a soldier you know what it meant to mount it on the passenger side and it is not an arbitrary rule. The flag shall be to the observers left side as you face the vehicle.
No you're not a communist (just bec. you own a TJ Wrangler) :)
It is just an etiquette for a soldier serving the country.
Please explain for those of us who just don't know...

No need for argument. The definitive guide for flag protocol on non-military vehicles is here:

http://www.melvinroads1231.org/docs/Flag_Guidelines.pdf
However, despite all the protocols and all the rules, the First Amendment to the United States Constitution holds political speech sacrosanct, which in turn means that one's right to fly the United States flag anywhere on one's vehicle one might choose to fly it as a political statement is also sacrosanct.

At least until Kamala is anointed President.

No need for argument. The definitive guide for flag protocol on non-military vehicles is here:

http://www.melvinroads1231.org/docs/Flag_Guidelines.pdf
However, despite all the protocols and all the rules, the First Amendment to the United States Constitution holds political speech sacrosanct, which in turn means that one's right to fly the United States flag anywhere on one's vehicle one might choose to fly it as a political statement is also sacrosanct.

At least until Kamala is anointed President.
That link is the only time I have seen guidance that specifically lists being installed in the center of the vehicle as appropriate. My CB antenna is centered and I fly my flag there. I think the rule of not having any flag higher is MUCH more important than which side of the vehicle.

Reactions: B252 and Blondie70
However, it only states center as appropriate when flown from the ROOF of a vehicle, or the back/bumper of a MOTORCYCLE. Says nothing about center line rear bumper of a 4 wheeled vehicle.

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
This is a No-No.
1604278601063.png

Reactions: Zorba
I read the flag guidelines that Mr. Bills linked. it does refer to itself as merely guidelines as far as civilians are concerned.

It says centered on the roof or rear fender "bumper" of a motorcycle which seems somewhat vague. Also the part about centered when displayed in an odd number of flags leaves out the first odd number, one. Due to both of these I think on the spare or a hitch mount is fine.

Here's mine. it's not to the rear, or large or windproof but it does the job.
IMG_20190804_160729547_HDR.jpg