Flexing Control Arms

Don Bulee

TJ Enthusiast
FB_IMG_1678808932074.jpg

I know that heim joint are a no-go for suspension applications... Due to the fast wear and the metal to metal friction... And as well... Poly bushings are the cheapest ones due to a reason... The intention of the picture is just to show the flexing capabilities of each one of the ends in the control arms...

I don't see the relevance of that photo in choosing ends for control arms. If the ends are designed for the suspension under consideration, that comparison is moot. If the ends are not designed for the suspension, than it's not the fault of the ends, it's the fault of the designer.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
The poly would be a no go unless the link itself had some ability to flex (like the stock u-channel arms)

Isn't the consensus that the bracket contact with the housing of the joint is the real limiter? And that in real world application we never get close to that, so we are back to what joints are the best, and claims to give more flex are irrelevant.

To be remotely useful, he needs to show the angle of misalignment and put a few thousand pounds of force against the poly bushings.

I think that the control arms ends are more complex that just some flex, I wanted to share the picture just FYI, information is always helpfu but the control arm is not a single flexing system nor is just a one-arm system, all the arms together will cause some flex and as @jjvw mentioned, for the picture to be accurate it would need to have some pounds against the poly bushings trying to replicate what a normal arm would suffer in a real time application.

and what we are not considering is that.... usually the best is the one that you dont need to change each few hundred miles! so for me, there is no doubt about the beneficts in price range that offers the poly bushings and the fact that the JJ is (so far) the best option for best regarding flexing and durability...

Is it too late to bring up the duroflex joint? 😆 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: JMT
View attachment 407304

I know that heim joint are a no-go for suspension applications... Due to the fast wear and the metal to metal friction... And as well... Poly bushings are the cheapest ones due to a reason... The intention of the picture is just to show the flexing capabilities of each one of the ends in the control arms...

Each of those have their use. In fact if you are building a trailing arm you would put a poly bushing on one end and the rod end (heim) on the other. Does not mean I would want them on my rig.

Reactions: Don Bulee