Fluid changes in my 1997 TJ 4.0 5-speed

Jeepster97TJ

I have watch numerous videos and checking the forums (I am a new TJ owner) and I want to 1) change my transfer case fluids and change some leaky seals, 2) Change out my transmission fluid, 3) Change out my differential fluids and reseal. The transfer case is leaking at the rear output slinging fluid everywhere. The diffs are show signs of leakage and my transmission feels like it could use a refresh. The clutch seems good but shifting is sometimes not the smoothest. I think is could use some clean fluids all around. Is there a list on the forum I am missing for recommended fluids for these three areas? I want to do them right but I am a hard working American that has a budget at the end of the day. I may have to spread out the fluid changes over a little space of time but feel like they are all warranted. When I bought this Jeep it had basically set for 11-12 years mostly under a cover in a garage. So the fluids are old as far as age but not as far as miles driven (<3000). Just need some advice recommendations or pointed to the right "sticky" if I misses something. Input much appreciated!

I have watch numerous videos and checking the forums (I am a new TJ owner) and I want to 1) change my transfer case fluids and change some leaky seals, 2) Change out my transmission fluid, 3) Change out my differential fluids and reseal. The transfer case is leaking at the rear output slinging fluid everywhere. The diffs are show signs of leakage and my transmission feels like it could use a refresh. The clutch seems good but shifting is sometimes not the smoothest. I think is could use some clean fluids all around. Is there a list on the forum I am missing for recommended fluids for these three areas? I want to do them right but I am a hard working American that has a budget at the end of the day. I may have to spread out the fluid changes over a little space of time but feel like they are all warranted. When I bought this Jeep it had basically set for 11-12 years mostly under a cover in a garage. So the fluids are old as far as age but not as far as miles driven (<3000). Just need some advice recommendations or pointed to the right "sticky" if I misses something. Input much appreciated!

How many miles are on it?

Reactions: tr21triton
Well I have a TJ To-Do-List that seems to keep growing just because I want to do preventative maintenance as well as things that keep popping up from it just setting so long. I believe the original owner would start it up and pull it out of the garage but it hadn't seen really any miles in the last 11+ years.

Well I have a TJ To-Do-List that seems to keep growing just because I want to do preventative maintenance as well as things that keep popping up from it just setting so long. I believe the original owner would start it up and pull it out of the garage but it hadn't seen really any miles in the last 11+ years.

good plan when I bought my Rubi it had 95k miles on it. my goal was to change out all fluids and have it zero timed at 100k so I knew everything was new and hopefully prevent trouble later on.

good plan when I bought my Rubi it had 95k miles on it. my goal was to change out all fluids and have it zero timed at 100k so I knew everything was new and hopefully prevent trouble later on.

Yeah, I am right at 80K on it and have done plugs/wires/cap & rotor/O2 sensor/Throttle body & IAC cleanup/drilled some frame drains (frame it in perfect shape, but want to keep it that way)/ coolant flush and new radiator. Still need to do emissions canister & solenoid and all the fluids (especially the ones that that have leaky seals.

Reactions: tr21triton
I'm going through this on a '00 5spd I just picked up as well. I know its a simple thing, but sometimes over looked and causes issues and frustration. Make sure to crack the bolt for the fill port on the transmission and TC before going off and removing the drain plug. Nothing like draining fluids and then you cant fill it back up because the fill bolt is seized/rounded/welded/stripped.

I'm going through this on a '00 5spd I just picked up as well. I know its a simple thing, but sometimes over looked and causes issues and frustration. Make sure to crack the bolt for the fill port on the transmission and TC before going off and removing the drain plug. Nothing like draining fluids and then you cant fill it back up because the fill bolt is seized/rounded/welded/stripped.

Thank you! I did see several mention that as a best practice. It's good info for us newbies.

Reactions: SouthernTJ2000