Fluid Film vs Eastwood

i talked with an Eastwood rep at the store. the recommendation was application to clean metals. not that it won't cover and convert some rust, but if it doesn't do a total job it just gonna seal junk in.

they also suggested when i mentioned it had previously been FF'd, if any oil based product was applied b4 a product like this it needs to be totally cleaned b4 application or it won't adhere.

and FF after eastwoods will soften it, FF is designed to penetrate.
@Goatman and @someguysjeep . Thanks for your posts. But which Eastwood product are we talking about now? The internal frame coating product? I'm just surprised, because it is clearly pitched as something that can be applied to existing rust. From their site:

This special aerosol spray is both a rust prevention and rust destroyer formula rolled into one. The conical nozzle reaches directly into the frame and sprays in a wide pattern radial pattern to fully cover the surface while reaching deep into the sub-frame. Phenolic resin encapsulates the rust hiding inside the chassis so it doesn't rust its way through and destroy the frame from the inside out. Once this is completed, zinc phosphate seals the frame against additional rust.

I think that's what @Superjay5 was getting at, above. I mean, I can understand the worry of sealing moisture inside, but if you're sure the inside of your frame is dry, and that it has some existing rust, isn't that exactly what the internal frame coating product is intended for?

@Goatman and @someguysjeep . Thanks for your posts. But which Eastwood product are we talking about now? The internal frame coating product? I'm just surprised, because it is clearly pitched as something that can be applied to existing rust. From their site:

This special aerosol spray is both a rust prevention and rust destroyer formula rolled into one. The conical nozzle reaches directly into the frame and sprays in a wide pattern radial pattern to fully cover the surface while reaching deep into the sub-frame. Phenolic resin encapsulates the rust hiding inside the chassis so it doesn't rust its way through and destroy the frame from the inside out. Once this is completed, zinc phosphate seals the frame against additional rust.

I think that's what @Superjay5 was getting at, above. I mean, I can understand the worry of sealing moisture inside, but if you're sure the inside of your frame is dry, and that it has some existing rust, isn't that exactly what the internal frame coating product is intended for?

I think that's probably just fine if it's just surface rust. The problem is when it gets a little more advanced and there are large flakes (like quarter sized) of rust still hanging on to the inner wall of the frame. I just don't think the paint can fully creep behind those large flakes to truly encapsulate it all, and just going over the flake isn't good enough because when the flake falls off, you have a big unpainted patch behind it.

Reactions: someguysjeep
I think that's probably just fine if it's just surface rust. The problem is when it gets a little more advanced and there are large flakes (like quarter sized) of rust still hanging on to the inner wall of the frame. I just don't think the paint can fully creep behind those large flakes to truly encapsulate it all, and just going over the flake isn't good enough because when the flake falls off, you have a big unpainted patch behind it.

Sure, that makes good sense. I agree: one should always remove as much rust as possible before applying anything like Eastwood.

yes the internal frame coating.......and yes it will work over rust, to a certain extent.
but if it does not get it all, it will continue to corrode under the coating............so will POR 15.. or undercoating or bed liner.

the FF will soak in and can displace moisture allowing it to wick away and keep it from settling back in if it's kept active. and it works on rougher surfaces.

what product will best suite you is up to the condition of the jeep.

Reactions: SSTJ