Fog light wiring question

Gavidoc

Supporting Member
Could Use some help. My TJ came with factory fog lights. Previous owner also added led fogs that are worked into the factory lights.
All 4 run to a separate rocker switch in the center dash vs using the multi function switch.
I’m wanting to replace the POS switch he rigged into the blank with a rocker switch with fog light emblem.
My question:

here is an image of the rocker switch wiring currently used. I have a red, black and blue wire.
I have no idea what these are. Any assistance would be very helpful as I’m at a loss for what they all are.
Thanks.

B5CBF57C-B352-431E-9CC6-0F9881F9D5AF.jpeg

945AC250-6B28-4C68-9F4E-3B51281B1C37.jpeg

F4E4E362-2737-402E-9E68-A9AD0CB693CB.jpeg

Last edited:
Generally, you should have: Power from battery/electrical source , Positive lead to the accessory, Ground from accessory. I have no idea what color is which since it was wired by the PO.

I suspect the blue wire is the switched hot lead from the battery (powered only when ignition is "on"). It appears to be the same color as the one on my 2000 TJ which had 2 unused aux power wires coming in behind the glovebox (light blue was switched hot, other (don't remember color) was always hot).

Generally, you should have: Power from battery/electrical source , Positive lead to the accessory, Ground from accessory. I have no idea what color is which since it was wired by the PO.

I suspect the blue wire is the switched hot lead from the battery (powered only when ignition is "on"). It appears to be the same color as the one on my 2000 TJ which had 2 unused aux power wires coming in behind the glovebox (light blue was switched hot, other (don't remember color) was always hot).

thanks! So do I need a relay or a rocker switch with 3 connectors?

And the black wire is probably a ground for the indicator light built into the switch.

You may need to put a relay into the "foglight relay" slot in the PDC.

Oh, and blanks to fill that slot?
A dime a dozen. Probably, any number of members here, me included, would send you one for the cost of postage.

so From the diagram it would appear that the blue is the switched power from ignition (blue) and the red is the power to the accessory.
As my fog lights also light up the fog light indicator in the cluster I’m going to work under the assumption that the Po bypassed the mfs and went with this rocker due to either:

1. the additional set of fogs and not wanting two switches
2. A faulty fog component of the mfs.