Fog light wiring

BrianJ

I recently purchased an 04 TJ with very low miles. It’s mostly stock and did not come with factory fog light and is not pre wired (yes I’m sure). There are no plugs under my wheel well and no extra wiring attached to the harness that powers the headlights and turn signals. I would like to add a new multifunction switch and relay to power fog lights through the relay box rather than adding an aftermarket switch. I’m not sure how to add wiring to be able to use a multifunction switch. Any help would be appreciated.

Honestly, if I was you, I would just add an aftermarket switch. Coming from someone who has factory fog lights, I can tell you firsthand that the multi-fuctinon switch for the fog lights is one of the stupidest designs ever. They tend to go bad quite often, and it's really annoying to fix. Mine failed recently, and I made a comment to both @bobthetj03 and @jeep_boss that if my TJ hadn't come pre-wired for factory fog lights, I would have opted to install an aftermarket switch instead.

If you really want to install the factory foglight wiring, you need to download the FSM for your year here:
Jeep Wrangler TJ Factory Service Manuals (FSM) & Technical Documentation

That has all the electrical wiring diagrams in it. With those diagrams, you could find a used fog light harness on eBay (or elsewhere) and wire it up to be just like factory, which likely wouldn't be too difficult.

If you don't want to go that route, I have a very, very nice aftermarket fog light harness (made by Vision X) you could take off my hands with relays built-in, a switch, and ready to throw in your TJ and hook up with ease!

What makes them junk? I haven’t heard any complaints about them until now.

The fog light portion of the switch is finicky, often times gets stuck in the on or off position, and once you take it apart to repair the switch, you'll quickly see why. It's pretty common on the TJs equipped with factory fog lights. The insides of that switch are some sort of stupid Rube Goldberg contraption, and it's a horrible, horrible design. After taking it apart, I can see why they fail so often.

@bobthetj03 did a write-up on how to repair the multi-function switch, which should give you a picture image as to why the switch is such a piss poor design:

How to fix flickering fog lights or fog lights that won't turn off

Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
Thanks for the input. My OCD wants the indicator light on the instrument panel to work when the fog lights are on, but the rocker switch seems to be the easier solution.

Thanks for the input. My OCD wants the indicator light on the instrument panel to work when the fog lights are on, but the rocker switch seems to be the easier solution.

The switches I suggested have a indicator light on the switch if that helps at all. If you have any wiring experience, you could wire that up to the instrument panel lights. Yours must be a newer TJ because mine had factory lights, but I have never noticed an lights on the dash. I will double check tonight because if they are there I am going to wire mine up to work that way also.

I REALLY wanted to use the factory wiring for my fog lights as well. After examining the wiring diagram, it looks like they are tied into the headlight relay in some way because (correct me if I'm wrong) it is illegal to run high beams and fog lights. I don't want random wires running all over the jeep just to turn on the fog lights, but unfortunately it doesn't look like recreating the factory wiring is possible if the jeep didn't come with them.
Can anyone give insight as to where the factory fog light relay(s) are? I can't find them on any diagram or fuse/relay panel reference.
I wouldn't mind adding wiring from say the PDC to the front of the jeep, but it doesn't look like the relay(s) is(are) there.

Attachments

• Fog Light Diagrams.pdf
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,103
I REALLY wanted to use the factory wiring for my fog lights as well. After examining the wiring diagram, it looks like they are tied into the headlight relay in some way because (correct me if I'm wrong) it is illegal to run high beams and fog lights. I don't want random wires running all over the jeep just to turn on the fog lights, but unfortunately it doesn't look like recreating the factory wiring is possible if the jeep didn't come with them.
Can anyone give insight as to where the factory fog light relay(s) are? I can't find them on any diagram or fuse/relay panel reference.
I wouldn't mind adding wiring from say the PDC to the front of the jeep, but it doesn't look like the relay(s) is(are) there.

Update:
It looks like much of the factory wiring is actually there! I did some digging with a wiring diagram on my 1997 SE and I was able to find the light blue wire in the connector under the hood. There just isn't a corresponding pin on the front light side of the harness. I haven't fully tested to see if power gets there yet, but it looks like I should be able to plug a switch in, and simply run a power wire from that light blue wire in the connector to my fog lights! I will let you know what I find out!

Reactions: KCsTJ
I know this topic is a little old but I wanted to provide an update: I finally got around to installing fog lights and switch that I’m happy with. I really wanted to maintain a factory look and I didn’t like that aftermarket rocker switches don’t have the backlighting when the headlights are on like the rear defrost and wiper switches. My solution was to use an XJ fog switch. Despite what you see online, the XJ switch will fit, but the wiring plug is not compatible. I was able to power the switch by splicing into the existing OD wiring as my TJ is a manual and does not have the OD switch. It looks works great and all my switches match and light up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this topic is a little old but I wanted to provide an update: I finally got around to installing fog lights and switch that I’m happy with. I really wanted to maintain a factory look and I didn’t like that aftermarket rocker switches don’t have the backlighting when the headlights are on like the rear defrost and wiper switches. My solution was to use an XJ fog switch. Despite what you see online, the XJ switch will fit, but the wiring plug is not compatible. I was able to power the switch by splicing into the existing OD wiring as my TJ is a manual and does not have the OD switch. It looks works great and all my switches match and light up.

Sounds like a unique solution. Mind parking a picture?

ae6ed97719d65b33af5a8d952dd05e5b.jpg

As I said I was able to use the power and ground from the O/D switch. My TJ had the O/D wiring even though it’s a manual and doesn’t have the switch. I wired the switch to a relay and connected PIAA led fog lights. I also went a little nuts with the led interior lights since I had to pull the dash apart anyway, hence the blue color.

View attachment 53726

As I said I was able to use the power and ground from the O/D switch. My TJ had the O/D wiring even though it’s a manual and doesn’t have the switch. I wired the switch to a relay and connected PIAA led fog lights. I also went a little nuts with the led interior lights since I had to pull the dash apart anyway, hence the blue color.

Can I ask which color wires from OD was used?