For a Dana 35, is it possible to update a 27 spline Eaton E-Locker to a 30 spline?

richardh

Supporting Member
My jeep has a 27 spline Eaton Elocker in my rear Dana 35. I want to build a Super35. Can I update the Eaton Elocker to 30 spline? Or, do I buy a new Eaton Elocker 30 spline and seel the 27 spline?

If it's possible, is it worth it?

There is a parts kit if you look in the Eaton catalog, it’s a matter of swapping the side gears to 30 spline. The hard part is getting ahold of the kit.

I’ll check the catalog and try to find what I’m referring to.

Reactions: richardh
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this Eaton part has been discontinued and it is no longer possible to convert a 27 spline Elocker to a 30 spline Elocker. Clemson4wheel.com has removed that product listing and there are no other retailers with this product in stock.

Unless anyone is able to determine whether the side gears from another 30 spline Elocker will fit into the Dana 35 Elocker, we can close this topic and no longer consider this approach as an upgrade option.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this Eaton part has been discontinued and it is no longer possible to convert a 27 spline Elocker to a 30 spline Elocker. Clemson4wheel.com has removed that product listing and there are no other retailers with this product in stock.

Unless anyone is able to determine whether the side gears from another 30 spline Elocker will fit into the Dana 35 Elocker, we can close this topic and no longer consider this approach as an upgrade option.
That's bad news. Do you happen to still have the Eaton part number for the kit to change it to 30 spline?

That's bad news. Do you happen to still have the Eaton part number for the kit to change it to 30 spline?

As OP mentioned, it is part number 26993-00S. I called Eaton and spoke with an Eaton representative on the phone. Summary of my phone call with Eaton:
  • Eaton has discontinued and stopped offering replacement parts for some of its differential products
  • Eaton does not directly offer replacement parts for its differential products to customers; must go through distributor partner
  • Part number 26993-00S has specifically been discontinued; a new locker unit must be purchased if those parts are needed

As OP mentioned, it is part number 26993-00S. I called Eaton and spoke with an Eaton representative on the phone. Summary of my phone call with Eaton:
  • Eaton has discontinued and stopped offering replacement parts for some of its differential products
  • Eaton does not directly offer replacement parts for its differential products to customers; must go through distributor partner
  • Part number 26993-00S has specifically been discontinued; a new locker unit must be purchased if those parts are needed

Well dang, guess I buy a new e-locker and sell the old one then. And, thanks for the details it really saves me time.

Guess they realized they can make more money selling a new locker.

Guess they realized they can make more money selling a new locker.

I guess you don't become a giant corporation making $20B a year in revenue by selling replacement parts to offroading customers.

My biggest concern with Eaton is not about the discontinuation of the 27-30 spline upgrade option, but that the 30 spline Elocker has no replacement parts to rebuild it. Yukon Zip air locker seems like the way to go because they seem to care more about their customers (than even ARB) with their warranty, support and replacement parts offerings.

Reactions: suicideking
I guess you don't become a giant corporation making $20B a year in revenue by selling replacement parts to offroading customers.

My biggest concern with Eaton is not about the discontinuation of the 27-30 spline upgrade option, but that the 30 spline Elocker has no replacement parts to rebuild it. Yukon Zip air locker seems like the way to go because they seem to care more about their customers (than even ARB) with their warranty, support and replacement parts offerings.

I have a Yukon Zip in my front Currie Dana 44. It was highly recommended by the vendor/installer, rawkhaus, http://rwkhaussupply.com/. He said exactly that — it has a better warranty than ARB. Though it is a copy of one of ARB's older designs, which turns off some. They took the old ARB design and supposedly improved it to make it stronger.

I do have the ARB in my rear Currie 60. Obviously not a direct comparison, but I am curious to see if either has problems first. If the ARB breaks first, I might replace it with the Yukon, or vice versa.

Though the thing nice about the Eaton is it's an e-locker, so doesn't need air. A simpler install if you don't already have air. Since mine were both originally ARB with the OEM housings, I already had air running there. If not, probably would've gone with the Eaton.

Reactions: TJX02
I have a Yukon Zip in my front Currie Dana 44. It was highly recommended by the vendor/installer, rawkhaus, http://rwkhaussupply.com/. He said exactly that — it has a better warranty than ARB. Though it is a copy of one of ARB's older designs, which turns off some. They took the old ARB design and supposedly improved it to make it stronger.

I do have the ARB in my rear Currie 60. Obviously not a direct comparison, but I am curious to see if either has problems first. If the ARB breaks first, I might replace it with the Yukon, or vice versa.

Though the thing nice about the Eaton is it's an e-locker, so doesn't need air. A simpler install if you don't already have air. Since mine were both originally ARB with the OEM housings, I already had air running there. If not, probably would've gone with the Eaton.

If Yukon offered an e-locker, it would be a no brainer IMO. In general I would much rather support a brand like Yukon, which demonstrates more support and care to our community. Don't like the idea of supporting Eaton, though I may end up begrudgingly doing so to get the e-locker.

Last edited:
Reactions: suicideking