Found in transmission pan

Alexd183

While changing trans gasket found this in my transmission pan. No issues, all gears work. 98 2.5 Auto

IMG_4546.jpeg

IMG_4546.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Andy-WhiteTJ
That’s a broken snap ring. Take the ring pieces to your local transmission shop, they should be able to tell you where it came from.

That looks like an external snap ring.

Governor looks to have internal snap rings keeping it together. If the governor came apart you would have some noticeable issues.

From the looks of it, its mopar pn 6501695. I can’t find anything inside the trans other than the governor. It wasn’t on the magnet both pieces were just laying in the pan in the back driver side corner. And the governor is pretty far back in the transmission. Stumped me

I think that's (what's left of) the c-clip that holds the front planetary to the sun shell. This video should be cued to roughly that spot in the overhaul.

Reactions: CMBD
From the looks of it its mopar pn 6501695. I can’t find anything inside other then the governor.

I think its 6501695

That is an internal snap ring. It goes down in a bore.

What you have on the towel is external. It goes around something.

I think that's (what's left of) the c-clip that holds the front planetary to the sun shell. This video should be cued to roughly that spot in the overhaul.

That was my other thought. But its hard to judge size from the pic.

thumbnail_20240528_114750.jpg

From the looks of it its mopar pn 6501695. I can’t find anything inside other then the governor.

I think its 6501695

anything broken on governor would have no way to make it into the pan; the only connection between the gov & trans is through the exit bore (which is a smooth fit bushing) or the oil passage which is tiny.

I'm 99% sure that's the snap ring that essentially holds the front planetary to the sun shell & output shaft. With it not being there, the planetary could theoretically walk forward and lose connection with the sun gear which would probably end up looking like massive slipping or permanent neutral. However, just quickly thinking about it in my head, I think it can't actually walk that far forward because ultimately the whole stack is pushed up against the thrust washer on the back side of the pump.

I guess looking at it from the other direction, it's also what holds the output shaft in (I'm pretty sure). There's another lock ring deeper down, but I don't believe it holds the shaft in. So I guess without that c-clip the output shaft could walk it's way out. That would probably manifest initially as maybe Park not wanting to engage because the sprag moved too far back? Or maybe noise as the back side of the governor contacts the rear of the extension housing? IDK, I'm just wildly speculating now.

Reactions: CMBD
I have the same exact issue with my 1998 Wrangler with a 30rh automatic and I found the same snap ring broken in the same exact way while changing the filter and just being able to find two of the three pieces but mine was stuck to the magnet. The only issue I have is that in drive it wants to take off in second gear instead of first but it shifts on to third and the torque converter locks up just fine. It will shift into first gear if shift it to 1. I would like to see what else anybody might be able to come up or if this issue is resolved