Found this article about this guy putting 40s on an otherwise stock TJ

I see, 8 inches of lift but the rest stock. Was wondering how he had 40s and no lift, to each his own I guess. Must drive really careful, don't slam on the brakes in front of him.

Okay he is out at the OBX. That makes sense. Grew up thinking it was so awesome just taking your beach rig right down and relaxing on the beach.
I’ve had mine on Nags head, wrightsville, Carolina. All great beaches.

I just aired down. 🤷

honestly i cant hate the aesthetic proportions but i can not condone this method.

It looks like it would float if you put it in the water. lol
yeah it probably would. there used to be a guy in west seattle with a flat fender on 52's that could drive out into the waves off the beach and it would float back

Yeah, totally stock except for SYE and I assume a CV driveshaft.

I'm going to also assume it either came with at least adjustable upper control arms or he just forgot about those.

And about 8 inches of lift.

And regear.

Otherwise totally stock, lol.

I know, still borderline dangerous to drive without a bunch of other mods, but pretty far from stock.

I’ll help you, I hate the aesthetic proportions with a passion. Looks stupid and disproportionate as hell without a big stretch 🤣
hell i'd never do it myself but each their own. good for him for having what he wants though i will never condone the negligent lack of brakes. it might just be that i dig the kinda 80's lifted truck scene with absurdly oversized tires but something about it gives me that little smirk and chuckle combo.

To each their own. I don't hate it, the guy is honest about how he uses his jeep. If you want big tires, Go for it. Just like the "mall-crawling" fab-fours JK (and now JL) crowd. Not my taste, but I don't get all bent out of shape about it. That is their passion. They buy mods to look a certain way.

I buy mods to improve my rig offroad. Looking cool is secondary. One of the reasons I like this site is because its mostly Form follows function. But, just because this site leans that way doesn't mean that what others do in a function follows form type of way is bad, and we shouldn't pick on them for that.

Goofy for most of us, but it works for his location. 10-15yrs ago, 40’s were the smallest tire you’d see on trucks down there. When we showed up in 2002 with an Excursion on 12” of lift and 40’s, everybody had just made the switch to 46” Mickey Thompson Baja Claws(like the red truck in his article). A few years later, there was an Excursion on 54’s and air-ride being built by the owner of Island Off-road. Notice the stock ‘95 F-250 next to the Excursion. It’s not as popular anymore to have monster trucks like that... simpler days 😂
7A9CDBAB-5D58-4252-8CBD-7A8570C53DD4.jpeg

Reactions: 4speedhandler
Goofy for most of us, but it works for his location. 10-15yrs ago, 40’s were the smallest tire you’d see on trucks down there. When we showed up in 2002 with an Excursion on 12” of lift and 40’s, everybody had just made the switch to 46” Mickey Thompson Baja Claws(like the red truck in his article). A few years later, there was an Excursion on 54’s and air-ride being built by the owner of Island Off-road. Notice the stock ‘95 F-250 next to the Excursion. It’s not as popular anymore to have monster trucks like that... simpler days 😂
View attachment 172506
I’m okay with this, mostly because their is more tire than a tiny rubber band around a 24” wheel.