Four angry squirrels, or the TJ 2.5's and 2.4's

Lol, kind of puts what we do to our TJ's into perspective, doesn't it.

I'm pretty sure all those Jeeps were locked, and had taller ties than stock. Other than that, I'm not sure what you can do to improve a CJ2A. Certainly not as much is available as for the TJ.

Too bad that guy flopped his green Jeep. It didn't seem much the worse for wear though. The group fiddled with it and he drove it off.

Some folks say an SE sucks on the Highway, which may be true in a lot of cases. But an MB or CJ2A TRULY sucks on the Highway.

Thanks for posting those up @billiebob!

Reactions: Ehallspqr
Great videos of the old CJ2s running the rocks. It just goes to show you what 4 cylinders combined with lightweight, slightly bigger tires and correct gearing can do in the real world. Same principles apply with the TJ SEs. Built-out my SE weighs just over 3400 lbs. in comparison my friends over built JK 4dr weighs close to 6000. All that extra weight contributes to breaking stuff on the trail unless you upgrade everything. It becomes a vicious circle.

Had an old Willy’s and yes they are horrible at anything over 40mph. My 80’s CJ5 wasn’t much better. TJ’s are plush riding sports car handling in comparison. The PowerTech in the later SE makes adequate power at 147hp. Gearing is everything. 4.56 with 33s is a good combination on road. 4.88 if you needs are more hardcore off-road. I’m running an Old Man Emu 2” with a 1” body lift to clear the 33s. Great combination. I read here that many prefer 31s or 32s but I have had good luck running 33 x 10.5” on the two SEs I’ve owned.

The TJ SE is kinda of a throwback to the old 4 cly CJ2s, but with double the power, much better suspension and superior on road manors. Upgradability is limitless unlike CJs. Not that I care that much about gas mileage but it does get noticeably better than the I-6 TJs. On a typical weekend wheeling expedition I can skip the run to the gas station midway.

Curious to hear what you guys think of the new diesel Roxor CJ3 clone? I test drove one and it very much reminded me of my old CJs. Probably would have bought one if they where street legal. In the end I went with a 4-banger TJ and couldn’t be happier. That brand new Roxor at 18k was tempting though.

Reactions: billiebob and StG58
Lol, kind of puts what we do to our TJ's into perspective, doesn't it.

I'm pretty sure all those Jeeps were locked, and had taller ties than stock. Other than that, I'm not sure what you can do to improve a CJ2A. Certainly not as much is available as for the TJ.

Too bad that guy flopped his green Jeep. It didn't seem much the worse for wear though. The group fiddled with it and he drove it off.

Some folks say an SE sucks on the Highway, which may be true in a lot of cases. But an MB or CJ2A TRULY sucks on the Highway.

Thanks for posting those up @billiebob!
I think the guy that went turtle had a V8 too. But it is amazing what a stock Jeep can do. One of the reasons I took the lift off mine.... maybe an extra challenge or maybe not.

My first Jeep was an M38. It was also my first vehicle. Just before my Grade 12 Grad. Jeeps are in my family since before you could buy one. Heres my Uncle in Europe, 1944. When all Jeeps were Government issued.

I love this photo.
Uncle Bill 1944.jpg

A very cool side by side / golf cart. Unfortunately not road legal tho.

Yes the Roxor is tiny by today’s standards. Not much bigger than a Zuk Samurai. You can register them as a street legal side by side or obtain a title through a company called Street legal off-road but it’s a hassle. The TJ SE was the easiest path.

Looking at the Roxor it is pretty close to the old Willy’s Jeep. That Diesel engine was awesome and you can easily bump the HP and torque. Roxor is looking to offer these as street legal but sure that will bump the price way up. No, better to stick with the SEs. More practical option.

BTW. My favorite local 4x4 shop

948F4CD6-BEE4-4E24-A4E8-ACD96E2C609D.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm hoping this is the right location for this question. 2.5 sitting on 33's, at 60-65mph I started to smell burnt rubber. Slowed down, the smell went away. I stopped and checked my fluids just to rule out. Put my hand on the whole drivetrain underneath. Nothing was untouchablly hot. My 2.5 has 193k on it, my first jeep ever. My tires aren't rubbing, what could tge possibilities be for the smell?

4 cyl & 33x14x15 TSL Boggers getting it done at Funny Rocks in central WA.

MVC-096F.JPG

MVC-099F.JPG

I drove & wheeled a 1997 TJ SE for over 3 years before I did my V-8 swap. Started with 33" tires and 4.10 gears then moved up to 4.88 gears before I got a wild hair and switched to 35" tires. Many say they don't like the 2.5 4 cyl in the freeway but I drove mine all the time over I-90. Twice a week I came over Snoqualmie Pass with a change of pace I'd do White Pass or Chinook Pass. But my point it that even with the 4 cyl it is still drivable on the street.

MVC-339S.JPG

What it looked like as I drove it everyday. Got some A/T tires still 33" for better street manners.

MVC-193F.JPG

MVC-194F.JPG

MVC-195F.JPG

Poppin the bead on these 33" Boggers was not a fun day.

35" Toyo M/T's & 4.88 gears still gettin it done.
IMG00027.JPG

1594001567717.png

1594001644427.png

Notice who is out front and leading? Those 4 angry squirrels were doing the job.

Reactions: motomick76
Nice to see the SE's getting some love[emoji1] 175k on mine and still going strong. I don't wheel it either. Just top down and doors off in the summer and I know if it ever snows again (starting to believe that global warming thing) I know I can get wherever I need to. And yeah 31"'s are perfect. Look great and will handle pretty much everything u need.

View attachment 10467

What wheel size do you have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can't decide whether I should do 4.88's or 5.13's for choice of gears to go with my 33's.. For daily driving I'm mostly doing 55 Km/h (35 Mph) and highway driving at 80Km/h (50 Mph). Ideally having a gear set that facilitates crawling up the steep rocky trails in BC and easing over logs and roots. So far I've been real happy with the SE 2.5 and won't be changing it for the foreseeable future.

And just like @dylansalrin mentioned, I gotta have the hard top for the many many cold, damp days we have up here 😅

Can't decide whether I should do 4.88's or 5.13's for choice of gears to go with my 33's.. For daily driving I'm mostly doing 55 Km/h (35 Mph) and highway driving at 80Km/h (50 Mph). Ideally having a gear set that facilitates crawling up the steep rocky trails in BC and easing over logs and roots. So far I've been real happy with the SE 2.5 and won't be changing it for the foreseeable future.

And just like @dylansalrin mentioned, I gotta have the hard top for the many many cold, damp days we have up here 😅
Mine has 4:88 and I’ve been happy with it. I’m on 35’s and as long as there’s no headwind, I can cruise at 70 mph no problem.

Reactions: John’o
Mine has 4:88 and I’ve been happy with it. I’m on 35’s and as long as there’s no headwind, I can cruise at 70 mph no problem.

He's up where he's going to be climbing hills. I had 4.88's & 33" tires and could use 5th again on the flats but had to downshift to 4th for any hills. Back when I'd regeared they didn't offer 5.13 gears for the stock axles.

IMO I'd go 5.13's.

Reactions: Jack72
He's up where he's going to be climbing hills. I had 4.88's & 33" tires and could use 5th again on the flats but had to downshift to 4th for any hills. Back when I'd regeared they didn't offer 5.13 gears for the stock axles.

IMO I'd go 5.13's.
Excellent advice from both you and @Jack72. I think 5.13 might be the choice all things considered.