Fox Shocks Stem to Eyelet

XCRN

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I ended up with a new set of front adjustable Fox reservoir shocks for a TJ for a great deal. However the compressed length is too long for my front setup, so I was thinking I could use these with an outboard job on the rear. Since the top stem of these shocks thread into the body I was thinking of removing that and installing something like a heim joint or rubber rod end in its place. I know the compressed length would be a bit longer than eyelet style shock. Has anyone done something like this on Fox shocks?

IMG_8343.jpeg

What is the part number?

985-26-109

The 985-26-108 would fit perfectly within the range I have after going through the process of setting up my bump stops in the front for max up travel and it is a 1/2” longer than what my max down travel is before the arms start hitting the perch and the spring unseats.

The travel length on those is only 10.620. I don't know that I'd go through the effort of an outboard for an extra ~1/2" of additional travel. I would just go with a 12" travel shock. That shock would be good up front with some minor work.

The travel length on those is only 10.620. I don't know that I'd go through the effort of an outboard for an extra ~1/2" of additional travel. I would just go with a 12" travel shock. That shock would be good up front with some minor work.

I am only a 2in lift so my non outboard options are closer to 8in travel. While I agree if I was starting from scratch I would figure out how to get 11-12” in the rear, I have these right now and can put them to good use and exceed what I can do for the rear. I have them on marketplace for a sizable discount over new, but no takers so far.

There’s a lot more to outboarding than just fitting a shock. You need to take into account the spring travel and if there is enough usable travel to support 50-50 travel bias on that shock and if the tire you are running won’t impact any up travel you gain from outboarding.

What springs are you running and what are their free length?

There’s a lot more to outboarding than just fitting a shock. You need to take into account the spring travel and if there is enough usable travel to support 50-50 travel bias on that shock and if the tire you are running won’t impact any up travel you gain from outboarding.

What springs are you running and what are their free length?

Correct, I have been cycle testing the suspension front and rear a lot lately. I figured out the Fox shock that is one step shorter would fit perfect. These particular shocks in question actually would maximize what I can do in the rear. When trying to physically push the axle down while cycling it, I at most can get 11ish” travel, not accounting for spring free length and when they would unseat in the rear. These shocks are 10.6” so they would fit decent within that window.

I am only a 2in lift with BDS springs and .75” spacer in front, cant remember what the rear free length is when I last had these springs removed. During the outboard job, I am going to cut the spring perch out and reposition it so I will likely need new springs to maintain the same height. With that said, I am looking into what are some of the longest free length springs I can get. Sounds like JKS is a solid option.