Frame Rot Help

thrasherbb

The past week I've spent a ridiculous amount of time on this forum researching frame protection, repair, and rust prevention. This week while investigating my frame I discovered this spot of rot pictured below. Obviously very concerning, I plan on dropping skid as soon as possible to get a more in depth look, I have also planned on using POR-15 on the whole frame this summer. Other than this one spot, the frame is in good shape, some surface rust but in good shape. Praying I don't need Safe-T cap. God willing this is the only rot, what would my fix be? Taking her into a weld shop? Accepting any criticism.(expecting many "take the skid plate off dummy" responses)
IMG_2086.jpg

That spot in the photo will definitely need to be Safe-T-Capped. Unfortunately, if one section looks like that, there’s a very good chance you’re going to have at least another section or two that need to be capped as well.

Reactions: Ephry73
That spot in the photo will definitely need to be Safe-T-Capped. Unfortunately, if one section looks like that, there’s a very good chance you’re going to have at least another section or two that need to be capped as well.
I fear your right, I'm going to try and remove the skid, which will likely be impossible. After that, I save money. I don't know much about Safe-T cap's yet. Could local shops weld them in for me? I want to make sure I can get my frame to last the remainder of the TJ's life, I plan on never selling my jeep, and I am fully prepared to do the yearly maintenance required to keep the frame maintained. Just want to make sure the job is done right.

I fear your right, I'm going to try and remove the skid, which will likely be impossible. After that, I save money. I don't know much about Safe-T cap's yet. Could local shops weld them in for me? I want to make sure I can get my frame to last the remainder of the TJ's life, I plan on never selling my jeep, and I am fully prepared to do the yearly maintenance required to keep the frame maintained. Just want to make sure the job is done right.
Lot of good info on their website.

https://www.autorust.com/safe-t-cap-kits/

Is Safe-T caps worth the cost over Pocono? I've seen some guys on here advocating for Pocono over Safe-T caps, and not being flush with cash right now makes Pocono look like my better option, opinions?

I don't know anything about Pocono, but I know one of the guys that designs a lot of AutoRust's stuff. He's been doing auto rust repair in the NorthEast since before most of us were born. I'm nearly 40. They are still a small company in RI and make great stuff.

Pocono makes a good cap. I have seen them up close. I used Safe t caps but would of been confident in using Pocono.
The hardest part is cutting the sections out and cleaning before fitting and welding. I had a hard time finding a welder that wanted to do the work but finally got lucky with my mechanic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ephry73
Pocono makes a good cap. I have seen them up close. I used Safe t caps but would of been confident in using Pocono
Is the quality much different between the two? Do you get a good bang for your buck with Safe-T caps, over Pocono?

Is the quality much different between the two? Do you get a good bang for your buck with Safe-T caps, over Pocono?
I really think they are about the same. I had already bought Safteycap before I heard about Pocono

I'm gonna go with pocono as well, seems to me you get the same fix at a better cost.

You're pretty early in the process to be deciding exactly what you want/need. I'm not saying Pocono isn't OK or SafeTCap is better. I've needed neither. Maybe that hole is the worst part of your frame and a nice piece of flat stock welded over it for $25 will take care of it. Probably not, but who really knows at this point?

Just take the time to figure out what needs repaired and ask around to find the best you can afford to do those repairs. They will let you know what they prefer to work with and why.

And since you're in Ohio, how close are you to PA? Not that I could fix your frame but I can help find what needs fixed.

Reactions: SSTJ
You're pretty early in the process to be deciding exactly what you want/need. I'm not saying Pocono isn't OK or SafeTCap is better. I've needed neither. Maybe that hole is the worst part of your frame and a nice piece of flat stock welded over it for $25 will take care of it. Probably not, but who really knows at this point?

Just take the time to figure out what needs repaired and ask around to find the best you can afford to do those repairs. They will let you know what they prefer to work with and why.

And since you're in Ohio, how close are you to PA? Not that I could fix your frame but I can help find what needs fixed.
I'm definitely in the early process. I'm taking the TJ into a shop to have the frame properly examined, I don't really have the tools like an endoscopic camera, and I don't have the tools to remove the skid plate either, it's stuck on their pretty good. But from the examining I've done replacing the skid center frame is likely going to be necessary. I put my finger in the frame holes and on both sides there are huge chunks of rust, and my screwdriver can scrape way to much metal off on the part that touches the skid. I'm in SW Ohio and pretty far out from PA.

I'm definitely in the early process. I'm taking the TJ into a shop to have the frame properly examined, I don't really have the tools like an endoscopic camera, and I don't have the tools to remove the skid plate either, it's stuck on their pretty good. But from the examining I've done replacing the skid center frame is likely going to be necessary. I put my finger in the frame holes and on both sides there are huge chunks of rust, and my screwdriver can scrape way to much metal off on the part that touches the skid. I'm in SW Ohio and pretty far out from PA.
I'm in Dayton so very near to you. I return to town from Moab next week. I can come take a look at it with you.
Jason

I'm mid-way through exploring all parts of my frame for rust. At 24 years old, and no real rust maintenance up to this point, it's sure to have some surprises. So far so good, but still, I'm finding this thread very helpful. Please keep the pics coming, and let us know what you decide to do, etc.

p.s. You can get a scope on Amazon for like $40. Not the best quality, but it definitely provides a view that you can't get by peeking through the holes.

I'm mid-way through exploring all parts of my frame for rust. At 24 years old, and no real rust maintenance up to this point, it's sure to have some surprises. So far so good, but still, I'm finding this thread very helpful. Please keep the pics coming, and let us know what you decide to do, etc.

p.s. You can get a scope on Amazon for like $40. Not the best quality, but it definitely provides a view that you can't get by peeking through the holes.
I absolutely will keep posting about my experience, definitely doing a lot of frame maintenance in 2021!

FWIW, my mint Texas frame after a couple years in southern Va. It shocked me when I bought it back last year. It sat for 2 years inside a garage and was driven 1200 miles. Rust hides and comes out when you least expect it. Kind of like Michael Myers in Halloween and herpes. :(
View attachment 250032
View attachment 250033
Man! You hate to see it, rust is definitely a silent killer of our beloved TJs, keeping my frame from being killed Michael Myers style is my #1 goal.

Reactions: TheBoogieman