Frame Rust Solutions?

Any rust removal, done properly, is going to be a LOT of work.
Word

Its not bad overall but where your rust is bad, it's bad. I'd be concerned with the skidplate (and driveline) completely falling down if you hit a big bump like railroad tracks or something. Maybe keep a few ratchet straps with you in case that happens. You can wrap them around the bottom of the skid and top of the frame rails to limp home.

What size tires are you running?

Not really. I ended up replacing my tub, and I'm going to end up doing my frame as well. Any rust removal, done properly, is going to be a LOT of work. I'd say POR-15 or KBS, but doing the underside of a tub would be very difficult to go through their cleaning and acid etching process. It's a very good product, when applied properly though.

Eastwood makes quite a few products for rust mitigation in aerosols, but I don't have a lot of experience with them.

Thank you for the recommmendation! My husband is under there now and the rust is mainly on the passenger side bottom center rail and we just noticed a litte on the lower control arm. I've seen POR-15 at a local auto body paint supply shop, we will check it out! I think we are going to get a kit from Taboo customs. The steel is 7 ga to 10 ga. My Nephew went to school for welding and he has the equipment to do it (just wish I had a car lift). So far the rest of the frame seems solid, but we'll see as we go. I'm anxious to see what's under that skid plate?? At least were not alone in this journey. There seems to be plenty of wisdom amongst these TJ forum members!!

I would have a frame swap done. Sounds like a great Family bonding project, if you can afford to lose the garage for the time it takes.

I'd say it'd definitely be more worth it in the end with your mileage and overall condition to swap it out for a good frame. I would overlook a nicer looking low mileage Jeep with patched frame, over a rougher higher mileage Jeep with zero rust or patches. No matter what you do, rust only gets rustier, unless you remove it 100% and start clean...

You have skills. (y) I bought a Jeep that the PO "welded" the center frame sections and the welds looked more like wads of chewed bubblegum. It still passed Va state inspections, but I sold it a month later.

Thank you kind sir. I’ve been welding for a few years doing industrial maintenance but this was my first welding project of my own believe it or not lol now I just look for shit to weld up since I have my own machine now