Frame Side Track Bar Mount Concern

Sj's TJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’ve had this JKS front track bar for about 3 years. It came loose recently and when I went to tighten it up I noticed the nut on the top of the frame side mount has really dug into the mount:
2BC9C9F0-AFC8-4B5D-9B8F-EF6F25531F0E.jpeg
I torqued it to 110 ft lbs per spec. Should I be concerned? Should I add a washer below the nut? Thoughts?

Thanks!!

I would. The Currie/RockJock track bar comes with a washer for that purpose. Can't tell you the size, but I know it's got to be just right to fit in there.

The Currie requires drilling out that hole too, I assume you didn't have to do that with the JKS?

Reactions: Sj's TJ
That's kind of hard to see how much it went in - are you sure it actually dug into the mount (as opposed to looking that way given the mounts shape? A metal nut generally has more than enough bearing surface to avoid what you are talking about, so I would suggest removing it and checking for rust to make sure you aren't missing a problem you can still fix.

My Core 4x4 required me to drill the hole larger and came with a washer, which I used, but even without it even 200 ft-lb should not cause the nut to do any damage to the frame mount. It isn't like it is plastic or something deformable...

I’m going to take it apart and see what it looks like. I did have to drill for the JKS track bar. Thanks!

You need the special fat washer like Currie/RockJock uses or get whatever nut Metalcloak supplies.

That's kind of hard to see how much it went in - are you sure it actually dug into the mount (as opposed to looking that way given the mounts shape? A metal nut generally has more than enough bearing surface to avoid what you are talking about, so I would suggest removing it and checking for rust to make sure you aren't missing a problem you can still fix.

My Core 4x4 required me to drill the hole larger and came with a washer, which I used, but even without it even 200 ft-lb should not cause the nut to do any damage to the frame mount. It isn't like it is plastic or something deformable...

There's a depression in the top of the mount where the bolt sticks up. I believe the issue is with the larger bolts many trackbars use is the nut is almost big enough to sit above that depression, but also small enough that over time it can wiggle it's way down into it. Which is likely what caused the OP's issue.

The right size washer will just fill that in, making it impossible for the nut to slip down in there.

Reactions: MichaelGH