Frameless Fastback Top Options

Camodude622

Hello, first time poster and was hoping to get some answers to my soft top questions. I have 98 sahara with a hardtop and would like a soft top for summer. I live in Ohio, so from October to April I’ll have my hardtop on. I like the look of the fastback style, I’ve heard too many negative things about rampage tops so they’re out. I like the pavement ends sprint top by bestop. I’ve heard good things but I’ve also heard it’s loud, my hardtop doesn’t have any kind of liner or boom mat and i’m content with the road volume in it. How much louder if any will it be? I do have a factory windshield bar and bestop door surrounds but no tailgate bar. Will it reuse the factory ones or do I need a specific one? $500 is about as much as I’d like to spend so what’re other good options in that price range? Finally, the most important question of all. It’s a sahara sooo… black or spice?
4A9B69E0-5C6E-44A1-A77D-987F9934108B.jpeg

Welcome!

Cannot for sure tell from the photo but the colour of your Jeep is Emerald Green? If so and you have a 98 Sahara then your interior would be tan/green as well so IMO spice would be really nice.

For many years I used to run a hardtop on my 03 Sahara. Last year I bought a Bestop Trektop NX (frameless with the fastback look). I have to say that so far it has exceeded my expectations since it's not much louder than the hardtop on the highway and it has pretty good heat insulation in the winter. I have to say though that I did bite the bullet and went with the premium fabric which cost about $1k.

I don't have experience with another top that fits your stated budget so I'll let others chime in for that.

Have only had bestop trektop so can't compare others but love the fit and quality. Also bestop is the oem manufacturer for soft tops.

look at lots of youtube soft top fitting vids, The tops that use the bolt on header never seem to fit properly around the corners of the windshield Rampage and smittybuilt are 2 of them, Mastertop seem to flap too much.
Your options arent that great with only $500 but Quadratec do a full kit fastback Quadratop with sunrider feature for $500 odd dollars but if you have your old cage you just use the front bows your own door surrounds and factory header and its $299

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrat...ua-adventure-top-replacement-tj-black-diamond

it fits tight, i read lots of reviews about how hard it was to get on, but never had an issue.
heard some report problems with the zippers or to tight to connect zippers, never had that problem.
it fitting that tight is what i liked about it.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I’ve had two Rampage tops. The first one lasted 9 years or so, and I only replaced it because it was starting to show some wear, but nothing had really failed. I love the ease of being able to quickly switch from full top to safari top and back. I almost never pull it all the way off.

The only other viable fastback option is the Bestop, but I’m personally not a fan of all the extra hardware for the sunrider feature.

Reactions: someguysjeep
I had 2 Rampage tops, second warranty replacement for first, in 4 years. After about a year, the vinyl was brittle, and stitching and straps were deteriorating. I got the Bestop Trektop NX, and am now on the 5th year with now issue.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
All the crap I went thru last summer with soft-tops makes me wish I just ordered the RAT from the beginning
I liked the fastback look on my LJ, but if I had to do it again... I would have just ordered the RAT.
The MasterTop Skytop fit perfect, but was ungodly noisy,
The Bestop Trektop is much quieter but fit like shit. Bestop did send me a replacement after seeing pictures of it.
I don't know if it will fit any better. I'll find out in the Spring, I guess.
As for interior noise, hardtop vs soft top. It's not even a comparison.

My Rampage sailcloth top lasted a week (poor stitching) before I returned it. My Bestop Trektop NX was quiet and fit TIGHTER than Amber Rose's pants.:oops:
View attachment 305891
I remember that, Boog. I’ve definitely heard a bunch of bad experiences with the Rampage as well. I do handle the thing carefully, and I guess one of the reasons mine works for me is it’s certainly not a daily.

….and you know me, it’s all about the looks!

😉

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I remember that, Boog. I’ve definitely heard a bunch of bad experiences with the Rampage as well. I do handle the thing carefully, and I guess one of the reasons mine works for me is it’s certainly not a daily.

I love my rampage as well actually. Fits just fine. Love how you can store the windows in that flap up top, though I almost never have them in. Have found even when it’s poring rain you hardly get wet with just the top part on, no doors. Summertime it stays just like in my pic

We loved the features and versatility of the the Rampage top. The bolt on header is producing a little more noise compared to factory style header. But it never leaked! When the time came to replace the Rampage top, we jumped on the Trektop NX which does have a more finished look. Downside is that the rear window is a royal pain to zip in and close it. The issue for us was bad enough that we took it off and went back to the factory top.
Last year we went to a trade show where Mastertop showcased some of their products. Their Twill Top for the JL looked great in quality and workmanship - comparable to Bestop. TJ / LJ top was not on display, but I’d be very interested to see and hear more about this top.

We have a Rampage top.
It was about $500 when the wife purchased it about 10 years ago.
It has held up fairly well to SoCal sun, but has finally begun to fail; zipper pulls started coming apart a couple years back, but I made new ones. Rear window is beginning to tear apart from the zipper at the upper corner, and now the stitching is all coming apart along the driver side. The pivot ends on the rear bar had to be replaced because they were getting worn, and Rampage doesn't sell a kit that has the right size or qty of new ends. :confused:
I don't think it's gonna live through summer #11.
It will likely be replaced with a Trektop or Mastertop.

….and you know me, it’s all about the looks!

😉
Looks like you brought out the Rampage following here. ;)

What about the rugged ridge XHD bowless top? Anyone have experience with it?
I did see one vid but cant find it now, the rear fitted too floppy around the rear bars and looked like it needed supports or stiffeners which I presume would only get worse as it stretches from first fit
seems most opt for the Bestop but even some of the side windows can have creases once fitted which would drive me nuts if I paid that much.

I have been pondering a trek top for about a year now.
I think you will find the quality has gone down on some brands and the 2 most popular Bestop expensive and Rampage cheap seem to both be hit or miss on quality and fit. biggest complaint with the Rampage seems to be broken straps during first fitting because they are so tight and it needs to be hot to fit them , bits of stitching sticking out that can "Run" where they have not been finished properly and corners not fitting into the bolt on header leaving the corners sticking up.

Consider this neither my Rampage bikini top or my Rampage tonneu cover fit! The straps on the Bikini top are useless because the buckles do up between where the roll bar and sound bar meet so I can only use the side straps and the deck cover is made to fit without the rear seatbelts fitted so it sticks up at those points because the plastic seat belt mounds are higher than the tub and the OEM tailgate bar fits on around the wrong way so you need a rampage tailgate bar.

Everything seems to be advertised to fit 97-06 but I presume there is a difference between the 97 and 06 because to date every thing I have bought for my 06 doesn't fit! Patterns seem to be cut using early TJ,s with no rear seat belts roll bar covers sound bars or vented tailgates! they must have exported a early non runner to China lol