Free Dana 30 4.88 gears (no longer) needed for a worthy lady

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry Bransford

Too many arguments and personal attacks, I'm done.
Supporting Member
Hey guys, I have a paraplegic Jeeper lady friend who is constantly raising $$$ for disabled military veterans via a fundraising 4x4 event she puts on. She recently lost her TJ's Dana 30 4.88 gears and needs a new set. Maybe used if you got 'em. It'd be nice to help her out for sure.

Let me know if you can hook me up for her, we have an installer who has volunteered his services.

Thank you! :)

Jerry

You're welcome, and no problem at all. Even know the first two people I'm going to hit up, and one is a rather attractive young lady who drives a TJ. She is totally Jeep crazy, and her whole family owns and drives multiple modified Jeeps. It's a good excuse to chat her up. Most guys like chatting up attractive young lassies, right? :D

Should we consider a GoFundMe account if we can't find parts? I'm sure everyone could pull together and get this lady back on the road.
That would be a great idea if it was for something more serious than a broken set of R&P gears. I'd feel a little sheepish doing that. I'm really just hoping for a used set of 4.88's but thanks for that suggestion. :)

Reactions: Michael Roberson
That would be a great idea if it was for something more serious than a broken set of R&P gears. I'd feel a little sheepish doing that. I'm really just hoping for a used set of 4.88's but thanks for that suggestion. :)
Jerry. How much is a new set of gears and where would you buy them?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jerry. How much is a new set of gears and where would you buy them?
Gears are sold by pretty much any 4x4 shop. If I was buying gears, I'd go for Revolution Gears from www.4lowparts.com. Ricky runs 4LowParts and he's a good guy, I've known him for a couple years now. A set of gears is typically $140-220, and the master install kit which includes the bearings & shims required to install them is probably $80-120 per axle.

I only caution you that if I was going to have a shop install new gears in my Jeep, I'd have the shop provide the gears, bearings, etc. so they will have to warranty everything.... all parts & labor. If you buy the parts & provide them to the shop and something goes wrong during or after the install, you're in for it. The installer will naturally blame the parts you provided and the dealer you bought the gears from will more rightly blame the installer's process... and that is the usual cause of problems.

Reactions: StG58
I liked Michael's suggestion and wondered what the parts cost since you already have someone willing to install them. I would contribute.

Reactions: Michael Roberson
Gears are sold by pretty much any 4x4 shop. If I was buying gears, I'd go for Revolution Gears from www.4lowparts.com. Ricky runs 4LowParts and he's a good guy, I've known him for a couple years now. A set of gears is typically $140-220, and the master install kit which includes the bearings & shims required to install them is probably $80-120 per axle.

I only caution you that if I was going to have a shop install new gears in my Jeep, I'd have the shop provide the gears, bearings, etc. so they will have to warranty everything.... all parts & labor. If you buy the parts & provide them to the shop and something goes wrong during or after the install, you're in for it. The installer will naturally blame the parts you provided and the dealer you bought the gears from will more rightly blame the installer's process... and that is the usual cause of problems.
OK, so coming up with a set of used gears is not the way to go, probably. She would still need the install kit(s) in any event. Installing used gears into a different axle is going to be pretty difficult to get the patterns to match, if that makes a huge difference. To get her a warranty on her replacement gears, we need to cough up the cash to have your installer buy and install them. Where does that leave us?

Reactions: LeePTI
OK, so coming up with a set of used gears is not the way to go, probably. She would still need the install kit(s) in any event. Installing used gears into a different axle is going to be pretty difficult to get the patterns to match, if that makes a huge difference. To get her a warranty on her replacement gears, we need to cough up the cash to have your installer buy and install them. Where does that leave us?
The couple of us involved locally with her will likely put our $$$ together to source the master install kit, we'd just have to work a little harder on the shimming process for used gears if that's all we can find. I have a call out to a friend who's a dealer to see if he might have a set for us. I don't want to go to my gear manufacturing contacts. I use them once a year for charitable event donations and I don't want to hit them again or my name would be mud for future donations lol.

I am seeing $200-$300 including install kit. Is that about right? I would start the fund with $100 donation.
Wow how generous, I really (!!!) appreciate that very kind off Lee... totally... but we're really aiming for either just a used set of gears or maybe gears from a dealer who has a set he's willing to let go like maybe was returned & for some reason is unsellable. Something lower key than cash donations.

But thank you VERY much for your totally generous offer, it really caught me off guard. In some situations I'd accept it for her but....

Wow how generous, I really (!!!) appreciate that very kind off Lee... totally... but we're really aiming for either just a used set of gears or maybe gears from a dealer who has a set he's willing to let go like maybe was returned & for some reason is unsellable. Something lower key than cash donations.

But thank you VERY much for your totally generous offer, it really caught me off guard. In some situations I'd accept it for her but....
YW. Offer stands if it would help with any purchases needed. And thank you for helping others. I hope you find what you need.
[emoji6]

Lee from the bottom of my heart I really appreciate your offer. If it turns out we could use it afterall, I'll send you a message. Thank you!!!

By the way... Angela may be a paraplegic but she still wheels. In fact, she became a paraplegic after an offroad accident maybe 15 years ago. This is a recent pic of her rig on a trail I was leading. Gosh I feel bad she tipped over but she wasn't upset. She had to stay inside until our club could get her back on her tires again.

She gets into her specially modified TJ from the back via an electric lift and then rolls her wheelchair up front where it gets locked to the floor. She's still full of piss and vinegar after all she's been through. :)

Angie's TJ on its side.JPG

I would feel honored to help this lady,She seems to be a warrior.
If a cash donation is what it takes for her gears then I'd be more then happy to oblige.

Perhaps donations is the way to go here.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeePTI and StG58
Status
Not open for further replies.