Freshly rebuilt start up and knock issue

Firstjeepbuild

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I just bought and installed a rebuilt long block from a reputable rebuild shop for my 99 Jeep tj with a 3 speed auto. I primed the motor until I saw the oil pressure come up to 50 lbs. There is a definite knock and tick when the motor the motor starts it also runs pretty rough. It sounds like the knock and ticking is coming from the back of the motor Obviously I have something wrong. Can I get trouble shooting Ideas. I did not run the engine more than 10 to 15 seconds.

Can you have a plug wire crossed? Take it to the shop that rebuilt the engine, see what they think.

I found the problem it was the crank shift position sensor that plugs onto the top of the transmission wan being hit by the torque converter. Loosened the bolt bolt readjusted it by pulling it up. The Jeep runs great with the new motor and tranny. I will get a new sensor to replace the one that was getting hit but it’s doing good.

Yes I was. The transmission was also rebuilt and the installed at the same time. I forgot to mention we installed the distributor 1 tooth off. We were tired went to bed and got a good nights sleep woke up fresh and got both issues figured out. Thanks again for all your responses. I am sure I will be needing more info as I intend to install a no slip lockers in the front Dana 30.

Reactions: matkal