Fried PCM

D M

CEL free! (again)
Supporting Member
Long story short my PCM is fried, ended up buying a new one from wranglerfix. We sent it in originally to a PCM repair shop, they sent it back and said "broken tracer-CPU shorted beyond repair." I cant seem to find out what a tracer is and how that can lead to a short. We tried calling but theyve been terrible about answering. Anyone know anything about this?

Reactions: Wranglerfix
Thats what I would think. Except im almost 100% positive I dont have any shorts anywhere that would lead to that.

You don't need a short external to the pcm to cause it. It just happens sometimes as one possible failure mode of an electronic device. With what they're subjected to (temperature swings and mechanical shock/vibration) it's impressive they last as long as they do.

Circuit boards have traces, that's the copper crap that connects everything. Sometimes they are on one side, sometimes both, really nice boards have hidden traces sandwiched in-between the layers. Simple repairs are possible but generally things go downhill really fast anywhere near small components. I've fixed a few and tossed countless more. It's a normal thing to say the traces are damaged beyond repair, shorted or open doesn't matter. It really just means the circuit board is messed up. It's good @Wranglerfix is giving details, it's difficult to know what terms people are going to understand. It just sounds like the circuit board is busted to me.

Here is the inside a JTECH (97-04) ECM. The grey adhesive has to be gently pried open. A millimeter too far and the ECM turns into Elvis Patterson.

image.jpg

image.jpg

09E91E27-33E4-4FB8-8693-689E3E40E46E.jpeg

FB015D02-BAED-46BA-956C-3033FA5E4886.jpeg

I've fixed broken traces on circuit boards for my own use, but I'd never do it for a paying customer. If I get a couple of months out of a repair I did for myself, it's all good. If someone pays me to fix it and it fails, that's not a good thing.

Reactions: D M
I've fixed broken traces on circuit boards for my own use, but I'd never do it for a paying customer. If I get a couple of months out of a repair I did for myself, it's all good. If someone pays me to fix it and it fails, that's not a good thing.
I used to be a large-scale mainframe computer Field Engineer (repairman) in the 70's for Sperry Univac and I repaired more circuit board paths/traces and replaced more components and chips (IC's) on circuit boards than I can remember. Never had any problems after my repairs. And my paying customers paid big $$$ for their annual service contracts, they'd never put up with substandard repairs.

Old shit like this that had about as much computing power then as a good desktop computer does now.

Capture.JPG

I used to be a large-scale mainframe computer "field engineer" (repairman) in the 70's for Sperry Univac and I repaired more circuit board paths/traces and replaced more chips (IC's) than I could possibly remember. Never had any problems after my repairs. And my paying customers paid big $$$ for their annual service contracts, they'd never put up with substandard repairs.

Old shit like this that had about as much computing power then as a good desktop computer does now.
View attachment 319605
Back when the only thing small was the computational power...

I used to be a large-scale mainframe computer Field Engineer (repairman) in the 70's for Sperry Univac and I repaired more circuit board paths/traces and replaced more components and chips (IC's) on circuit boards than I can remember. Never had any problems after my repairs. And my paying customers paid big $$$ for their annual service contracts, they'd never put up with substandard repairs.

View attachment 319605

Yeah, I've resoldered traces and connections on a lot of stuff that I couldn't otherwise replace when I had my restoration shop. Wasn't my favorite repair, but hey, sometimes there's no choice if you want something to work.
However, neither your repaired computers or my repaired dash circuit board for a '69 Road Runner are likely to be found busting rocks in Johnson Valley or Quartzsite so, on a Jeep, I'd go for a new board if it was available.