Front bow to rear bow soft top straps

Yes, they are needed.

I've used them and I've made my own (3 straps of 1" webbing to replace each 3" wide strap).

I used rivets though, instead of the screws provided.

In case it's TLDR: I got mine free somehow and Bestop is the best.

Here's my strange but true story:
When I bought my Jeep last year I noticed that one of those straps was not attached and when I tried to reconnect it, it was almost 2 inches too short.

I figured it needed replaced and didn't know they could come from anywhere else so I called Bestop. The first person I talked to said he didn't think they sold just the straps but he'd look into it. He hadn't called me back a week later so I called again and ended up talking to some lady. She found my info (I think from my phone number?) and said they don't sell just the straps so I need the center bow and they come with it. I'm not sure what I thought was going to happen, maybe a call to get my CC number when they could ship it? Anyway about a week later I received a 5 foot long box on my front porch. HOLY COW! it's the center bow! the next day I received a large envelope from Bestop. What's this, some kind of bill? No, it's the straps the original guy I talked to found.

Don't stop reading yet, it gets stranger but stays true.

A few days later I took my top off and completely removed the center bow, unboxed the new center bow to install it and found out that it wasn't the center bow for a TJ. Opened the large envelope and the straps weren't either.

One more call to Bestop and another lady answers. I told her about the center bow not being for a TJ and she apologized and said they would send the correct one out. I asked if I was could just ship the wrong center bow back when FedEx drops the right one off, she said don't worry about it. I also asked her about cleaning and protecting my top. She said that dish detergent cleaned the best but she always uses Bestop Protectant because nothing is better for that. I figured between not being charged for the first center bow and now wanting the protectant she'd ask for my CC number. That didn't happen. A week later I received the correct center bow in one large box and the protectant in a smaller box.

I need to get mine replaced too. Bestop has always been pretty darn good to work with.

I just put the soft top that came with when I bought the 06. It had a hard top on. Both of those straps were in the bag with the screws and pins and such. No side or rear panels though. Went on easy and appears to have that "flip back" feature for over the seats. I've put several miles on it like that. (Flip top closed down) is it unsafe? Dont see what the straps were supposed to do.

I just put the soft top that came with when I bought the 06. It had a hard top on. Both of those straps were in the bag with the screws and pins and such. No side or rear panels though. Went on easy and appears to have that "flip back" feature for over the seats. I've put several miles on it like that. (Flip top closed down) is it unsafe? Dont see what the straps were supposed to do.

After posting my story, all I can say is I really have no idea. When I was driving around with only one strap attached I didn't even notice the top was somewhat crooked until the first time I was putting it back up. I almost just disconnected the other one and hoped for the best. I'm also not sure how important the big plastic corner stiffeners are. I'm temped to pull them out because I think it would make it easier to lay that top along the tub when lowering it instead of removing it completely.

My guess is that both those things are somehow related to coil springs.:p

I think, at least on mine, if you cut off the back corners there is nothing else holding the back roof fabric onto the jeep. I'm pretty sure that would lead to a catastrophic event while driving down the road.

After posting my story, all I can say is I really have no idea. When I was driving around with only one strap attached I didn't even notice the top was somewhat crooked until the first time I was putting it back up. I almost just disconnected the other one and hoped for the best. I'm also not sure how important the big plastic corner stiffeners are. I'm temped to pull them out because I think it would make it easier to lay that top along the tub when lowering it instead of removing it completely.

Not sure what stiffeners you are referring to.

The

The plastic panels in the rear provide additional structure and help the top remain taught.

I recently bought a super top nx for my 06. My original top was still in good shape but this one had tinted windows and was too good of a deal to pass on.

The difference between the two is day and night. The super top with the rear panels is much more snug and far more quiet than my OEM original.

It is a little more work to put on or up but worth it from my experience.

Could you post a picture? I ordered the straps from Amazon. Will post when I put them on.

I don't have actual pictures and the wife is out and about with the Jeep but here's a couple pages from the Supertop NX Instructions.

It's the item in the center of the bottom of this page:
2019-05-26.png

And how it's installed in step 18 on this page:
2019-05-26 (2).png

Thanks much for the info. Does anyone know the measurement between the bows where the web straps attach? I'm making new straps but I don't have the original straps or a template to follow. I'd be good to go if I just knew how far the bows should be from one another, measured center-to-center at the strap attachment point. I believe I read 32" somewhere but I can't find that post again. Thanks for any help!

I believe they're meant to keep the spacing between the bars to allow the soft top to open. might also keep the material above the window from sagging but not sure. No worries though, I just went and bought new straps.