Front Disconnects

I'm running the Rubicon express version. They do come with extra pins to control the loose bars when disconnected. They are stout units. The fit and finish isn't quite as good as JKS...I had a couple of paint touch ups to do before I installed them. The threads at also raw steel, so take them all the way apart, coat them with anti seize, and thread them back together.

The JKS ones have yellow zinc plated threads, so rust will be better treated. Both have decent bushings, and are very easy too reconnect.

I was impressed with mine...

20170727_171039.jpg
20170728_150151.jpg

I have to say that disconnecting the sway bar made the Jeep much more nimble back when I was off roading a lot. I didn't have the biggest lift or the biggest tires, so simply disconnecting the sway bar gave it a noticeable amount of flexibility. For someone offroading on a budget I would definitely recommend it.

I'm on my second set of discos. Don't remember which brand I had originally (it was like 18 years ago), but they finally broke after about 10 years of on and off road use. I replaced them with a set of Terraflex discos and as regular (connected) sway bars they seem fine. They're easy enough to disconnect and swing out of the way if I need to. I don't think brand makes that much difference. The point is to move them out of the way - if they do that then they all work the same. The Terraflex go for about $120 at Quadratec. Seems worth it to me for what they do.

Reactions: JMT and StG58
Question: I see JKS has discos for 0-2" lifts, and 2.50"- 4.00"' if I recall correctly. So what about that half inch in between? What if you ended up with a 2.250" lift? Which kit would you go with, and why? Just want to understand (I'd settle for just an answer as to which, but an explanation is always more fulfilling). Thanks!

I’d go with the 2.5-4”, because the sway bar is supposed to be level or slightly above level.

Reactions: Squatch
I have been running without front sway bar for a number of years now. I have the Skyjacker RockLock front sway bar assembly I got from a buddy who upgraded to the currie. I took it off a maybe 4 years ago when it jammed up while flexing over a rock. The links were too short so when flexing it folded downward instead of going up as it should.

I’d go with the 2.5-4”, because the sway bar is supposed to be level or slightly above level.
Thanks, @JMT. I remember about the desire to have the sway bar being level but wasn't sure which direction would be better if'n you had to be a little off...up, or down. Appreciate the info!

Reactions: JMT
Question: I see JKS has discos for 0-2" lifts, and 2.50"- 4.00"' if I recall correctly. So what about that half inch in between? What if you ended up with a 2.250" lift? Which kit would you go with, and why? Just want to understand (I'd settle for just an answer as to which, but an explanation is always more fulfilling). Thanks!

The 0-2" JKS disconnects I just sold @Rob5589 worked perfectly on my 2.5" lift. You can ask him how they worked for him, he installed them yesterday.

So, @StG58 , since @Squatch brought your thread back to life, what did you end up doing? Inquiring minds want to know.

as far as why, you need to make sure there's enough of the threaded rod threaded into the lower part for strength. You could also run in to the problem with the rod screwed all the way in and then have no adjustment left to position the sway bay correctly.

as far as why, you need to make sure there's enough of the threaded rod threaded into the lower part for strength. You could also run in to the problem with the rod screwed all the way in and then have no adjustment left to position the sway bay correctly.
I'd considered the issue of running out of adjustment, but not that of lack of strength from not enough thread going in. Thanks for the education!

Reactions: CodaMan