Front drive shaft woes

NWPA Jeepy T

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
97 Sport 5 speed
I had sparrows, so I pulled the front DS to mess with the DC joints.
Turns out, mine is greasable. No problem, except it is.
The driveshaft side ring that the ball of the cardan yoke settles in is deformed. Any ideas for a replacement?
All the parts in the DC look good except that ring. Am I looking at a whole DS?
Thanks

20230421_103531[1].jpg

20230421_103510[1].jpg

20230421_103540[1].jpg

Be careful when getting into a rebuild of these things..the parts alone get very expensive if they all need replaced. The last I checked I could buy a replacement for less than I could buy the parts for.

Reactions: CajunJeepNate
Be careful when getting into a rebuild of these things..the parts alone get very expensive if they all need replaced. The last I checked I could buy a replacement for less than I could buy the parts for.

Like I said, all is good except that small...retainer ring? Swivel cup? Is deformed

That ring looks to be a part of the rubber boot that is pressed onto the outer edge of the centering stud. I dont recall any ring around the CV centering ball/bearings.

I rebuilt my front DS a few years ago with all new Spicer parts. After that I had some pulsing vibration. I removed the DS and had it rebalanced. The vibration was less but still there. So I bought a new Tom Woods DS and with that installed the vibration was completely eliminated. I spent nearly as much “fixing” my old DS as the new one cost.

Reactions: P man
If that is the only issue can it be straightened? Are those thin sheet metal?

Thick metal. A vise and channel locks just deformed it more.
That ring looks to be a part of the rubber boot that is pressed onto the outer edge of the centering stud. I dont recall any ring around the CV centering ball/bearings.

No rubber boot on the greasable joint

That ring is the dust deflector for the greasable pin yoke vs the boot that is used on the non greasable pin yoke. While it is a bit of a bummer that it is damaged you can assemble the cardan back together without in and it will operate just fine.

That ring is the dust deflector for the greasable pin yoke vs the boot that is used on the non greasable pin yoke. While it is a bit of a bummer that it is damaged you can assemble the cardan back together without in and it will operate just fine.

I kind of did that. I'm still looking for a new one, in the meantime, I'll just have to be more religious greasing that stupid needle zerk