Front driveshaft greaseable vs non-greaseable centering yoke

thomat65

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have a stock 04 Unlimited. I ordered this rebuild kit from Denny's Driveshaft for the front driveshaft. But now I'm seeing where Denny's says:
Fits Jeep Models with OEM NON Greaseable 1310 series CV Driveshaft Front/Rear
  • DOES NOT fit 2003 to 2006 Jeep TJ RUBICON Models with 1330 series front driveshaft
  • DOES NOT fit aftermarket 1310 CV Driveshaft with FLAT FLANGE at TRANSFER CASE
  • DOES NOT fit OEM or aftermarket 1310 CV Driveshafts originally built with a Greaseable CV Centering yoke
How can I tell whether my front CV centering yoke is greaseable or not? It's hard for me to get a good look and I don't know what to look for.

And what difference would it make to replace the greaseable kind with non-greaseable?

The factory CV joint on the front driveshaft is greasable IIRC, check to see if it has a needle style zerk fitting. It won't be easy to spot, you may have to drop the front of it and flex it around to be able to see well enough into the joint.

Non-Greasable centering yoke is 211544X
Greasable centering yoke is 211355X. I suspect yours is greasable but double-check since they are not interchangeable.

As above, the Denny's rep probably knows but...

Reactions: JMT
The factory CV joint on the front driveshaft is greasable IIRC, check to see if it has a needle style zerk fitting. It won't be easy to spot, you may have to drop the front of it and flex it around to be able to see well enough into the joint.

Non-Greasable centering yoke is 211544X
Greasable centering yoke is 211355X. I suspect yours is greasable but double-check since they are not interchangeable.

As above, the Denny's rep probably knows but...
I’ve never seen a stock front driveshaft with a grease nipple on the double cardon joint.

I’ve never seen a stock front driveshaft with a grease nipple on the double cardan joint.
My first TJ had one, that's when I had to go out to buy a needle zerk fitting. I remember mixed greasable DC joint and sealed u-joints. I expected the DC to have been sealed too but it was not on my '97.

My first TJ had one, that's when I had to go out to buy a needle zerk fitting. I remember mixed greasable DC joint and sealed u-joints. I expected the DC to have been sealed too but it was not on my '97.
I wonder if that was a first year thing, none of my ’00, ‘03, ’05 or ’06‘s had a stock greaseable joint anywhere in the driveline.

I emailed them per y'all's advice. This is what my email to Denny's said:
Hello, a while back I ordered the CV-544-3 rebuild kit
for the front driveshaft on my stock 04 Wrangler Unlimited.
It's been sitting on my shelf for a rainy day, but I just
noticed where you guys say "DOES NOT fit OEM or aftermarket
1310 CV Driveshafts originally built with a Greaseable CV
Centering yoke". I'm not positive if my OEM CV centering
yoke is greaseable, but I suspect it is. What's the
difference between the 211544X (non-greaseable) and 211355X
(greaseable) centering yokes that would make it
incompatible? Thanks!

And this is what they replied:
The 211544X non greaseable has a much larger body to fit into the rubber dust boot. The 211355X greaseable is a smaller body and will fit both the greaseable and non greaseable stud yokes.

Your vehicle would have a non greaseable driveshaft if it is oem. If its an aftermarket driveshaft then it can be either type.
Look at yours and see if it has the rubber boot. It probably does have the boot. If it does then you have the correct parts.

Hope this helps

These are about the best pictures I can get of the DC without taking my driveshaft out (now's not a good time for that).

I tried to rub it a little bit (that's as far as I can reach), and I think that's rubber? Is that a rubber boot?
rlCTN0eoEScCmwUNeejWFDCUA=w1292-h969-no?authuser=0.jpg

pXMi94afD_hyAvy-ifecOqUeOD=w727-h969-no?authuser=0.jpg

Both my 99 and 06 had non greasable centering yokes. I didn't even know they weren't interchangeable.

Will the 211355X work for my 06 LJ? It looks like it already has a greasable one on it but Amazon says it won’t fit…

Also, do I need this seal? I’ve seen different sources say yes and now.

Spicer 2-86-418 Seal

That seal is for the non-greasable CV joint. I just put that on my daughter's 2004 front shaft with a non-greasable CV Joint and all new u-joints.

Reactions: Duner