Front End Protection While Flat Towing

HuskerJeep

TJ Enthusiast
Living in Nebraska means that I'm really far away from any decent Jeep trails. Except for 1 off-road park about 3 hours away, it's 6-8 hours minimum to get to some good spots. So, I'm considering my options to flat tow behind my F150.

For those of you who flat tow often, what do you do for protecting the front of the Jeep from road debris from your truck/RV? I see a lot of conversations about which tow bar, bumper, braking system, etc... to use but I haven't found much on front end protection. Is it a non-issue, or are there some standard practices?

My neighbor squeezes his into an enclosed trailer. A couple of years ago his son went with him to MOAB and they used a longer trailer to pull both.

Something like this would work fine. https://omaha.craigslist.org/tro/d/neola-car-utility-trailer/7010507448.html When it's up higher, there is less chance of damage. The cost isn't bad when you start adding up all the parts you need to connect the Jeep to tow directly. But trailer storage and licensing is an issue.

Maybe just rent a Uhaul car hauler for the specific trips?

My neighbor squeezes his into an enclosed trailer. A couple of years ago his son went with him to MOAB and they used a longer trailer to pull both.

Something like this would work fine. https://omaha.craigslist.org/tro/d/neola-car-utility-trailer/7010507448.html When it's up higher, there is less chance of damage. The cost isn't bad when you start adding up all the parts you need to connect the Jeep to tow directly. But trailer storage and licensing is an issue.

Maybe just rent a Uhaul car hauler for the specific trips?
I think he was just asking about a cover for the front of his Jeep to protect against road debris.

I think he was just asking about a cover for the front of his Jeep to protect against road debris.
That’s right, curious what people are doing to protect while flat towing.

I understand my trailer options, and even have access to a nice car trailer but I can see a lot of positive options for flat towing rather than trailering. A place for each maybe. I don’t really want to turn this into a debate on trailer vs. flat tow though.

Is it legal to flat tow with a car cover on it? Whatever you do, don't put a clear film on it. My daughter's car has one that is cracked and looks bad, but is impossible to remove now. Unless they've gotten way better at applying and removing them over the years.

I don't give it much thought. My RV has mud flaps, so I don't get a lot of throw back. If I'm towing when it rains it'll wipe out the jeep a little, but I've never had a problem with rocks braking windshields, headlights, or chipping paint. Jeep sits high enough most of that debris is lost .

Yeah, those covers are an option, thanks.

@bobthetj03 @Boinked @T Crawford @andy29847 @Rob5589 @TurboTJ @Ardenlonewolf

I think you all do a fair bit of flat towing. Do you do anything special for front end protection?
Once off the main hwy, we drive on gravel covered roads. Our 2018 trip the front end got blasted, even though I had built a full sized mud flap for my truck. Broken headlight, gravel blasted grill, stars in windshield. If staying on pavement you are probably fairly safe. If any off road, I'd protect it somehow.

Reactions: HuskerJeep
What are those giant broom looking things I see under the back of RVs called? Maybe they would help?

I once had a set of the brush type mudflap on a motorhome, sometimes called "brush shields," Hula skirt type" or "splash guards." I liked them better than the solid mudflaps because they stopped all the crud from hitting my jeep and were more compliant than the solid mud flaps when going up steep inclines where the solids would drag.

For flat towing with a pickup or something other than a motorhome there are removable/adjustable brush shields such as the "Towtector":

F143867521.jpg

https://mudflaps.com/c-1207144-mud-...-system-new-adjustable-premium-towtector.html
There are also debris shields that attach to the tow bar such as these:

Demco Sentry
-bars-2018-jeep-jl-wrangler-unlimited-dm9523135_75.jpg

Reactions: HuskerJeep